Difference between Personal vs Primary

Options
JimS46
JimS46
Community Member

I am a fairly new user of 1Password7. I am using the Mac app for 1Password7 (along with the iPhone app and the iPad app). I have entered my data into the Personal vault using the Mac app. I am trying to understand the difference between the Personal vault vs the Primary vault.

It seems that the Primary vault is on iCloud. Does this have something to do with sharing entries with family members? It seems like entries in the Personal vault are successfully synced with the other apps (via iCloud?). Why would I use the Primary vault? And it seems that I can create a new vault. Why would I do that?

1Password Version: 7.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @JimS46

A Primary vault is one that you would have had before moving to a membership. It does not sync with your membership vaults. This vault cannot be seen nor acted upon by the membership.

A Personal/Private vault is a vault that's part of your membership. We do not use iCloud for syncing. The syncing would be provided by 1Password.com.

We would recommend removing the Primary vault as part of setting up the account so as to prevent confusion, just as you experienced. Here are the steps to get all of your data into your membership.

1. Check to make sure all of your data is available on https://my.1password.com and ensure you have a copy of your Emergency Kit.

2. If needed copy or move any items from your Primary vault to your membership vault (Personal/Private) that are not already present. * Please be sure you have the most up to date information in your Personal vault.

3. Remove the Primary vault.

• JimS46
    JimS46
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your support.

I deleted the Primary vault and all my data is available in my Personal vault. (Seems like there are two names that mean the same thing - Personal vault and Private vault.) In reading the documentation, I see that Family Sharing involves an additional cost and I think I understand how it works.

One more question though. I have set the Security Preferences on the Mac to Unlock using Touch ID and to Require Master Password every 2 weeks. However, after unlocking 1Password7 on the Mac several times using Touch ID, it then requires the Master Password after maybe one day (that is, it doesn't show the fingerprint icon on the locked screen). How come it's not waiting 2 weeks?

And by the way, even when the fingerprint icon is on the locked screen, it seems a little flakey - it requires several clicks to activate it. Actually, after some experimentation, it seems like it requires a click in the center of the touch pad. (I have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016))

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JimS46:

One more question though. I have set the Security Preferences on the Mac to Unlock using Touch ID and to Require Master Password every 2 weeks. However, after unlocking 1Password7 on the Mac several times using Touch ID, it then requires the Master Password after maybe one day (that is, it doesn't show the fingerprint icon on the locked screen). How come it's not waiting 2 weeks?

For security reasons your 1Password app is going to ask you for your Master Password from time to time, in response to certain events. Have you maybe been rebooting (or shutting off) this Mac, or perhaps updated it recently?

• JimS46
    JimS46
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, that might have been it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Understood @JimS46, thank you for the confirmation :+1:

This discussion has been closed.