1Password on macOS Feature Request - Similar Experience to that on Windows

neilhobbs
neilhobbs
Community Member
edited March 2021 in Mac

I have recently setup a 1Password account, which I use on both a Windows 10 laptop and a macOS 11.x MacBook.

I like the product, but the application on the macOS 11.x platform is way too intrusive, which I really dislike. I open Safari (the only browser that I use on the platform) and I find that the 1Password application is running alongside, even thought I switch off the option to have the integration with the browser. I would like to have the capability to only use it (have running) 1Password when I want it to. So it provides the passwords when I want it to.

I really like the 1Password application on the Windows 10 platform. I don't have it running upon start up. It will prompt to have the Vault unlocked, when it notices that I am logging into a site that knows. But if I ignore it and type in the password manually, it doesn't do anything and it remains in the no running state.

I would really like to have the behavior on the macOS platfrom. I find on the macOS platform, it will pop up when I visit a site it knows - it prompts to be unlock the Vault. I ignore it and then it opens the full application. This is bizarre and not wanted!

Can you change the application on the macOS platform to behave exactly like it does on the Windows 10 platform?

1Password Version: Latest Version from App Store
Extension Version: Latest Version from App Store
OS Version: macOS 11.x
Sync Type: Cloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @neilhobbs!

I open Safari (the only browser that I use on the platform) and I find that the 1Password application is running alongside, even thought I switch off the option to have the integration with the browser.

Is the 1Password extension enabled in Safari Preferences > Extensions tab?

• neilhobbs
    neilhobbs
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana

Thank you for coming back on this. No I have disabled that. I thought that would stop 1Password opening.

As I said in my initial post, I have disabled the option within 1Password and I have no Login Item for 1Password

I open Safari, I browse a couple of sites which aren't registered in the Vault - in this case, 1Password is not open. I then visit a site that has a Username/Password registered within the Vault, I manually type in the Username and Password, click Ok and login - then 1Password will open and sit behind Safari.

I find this behavior really intrusive and I have considered deleting it from the MacBook.

I am not using the MacBook while writing this post, but I will be using it later this evening.

Is there anything you suggest to prevent this from happening? Or will you need to edit the code and address it in a future update?

Many thanks in advance,

Neil

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@neilhobbs:

If you open 1Password Preferences > Browsers tab, do you perhaps have Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running checked? From what you are asking, it sounds like you might want to disable the autosave options in that window as well, for when 1Password detects usernames or credit cards.

• neilhobbs
    neilhobbs
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana

Thank you for this reply. I have switched off the option you mentioned there. I’ll have a look at the auto save options later and let you know how I get on.

I really find 1Password a great user experience on Windows and iOS. Just can’t seem to get it working on macOS in the same way.

Have a great day!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good @neilhobbs! Have a great day too :+1: :)

• neilhobbs
    neilhobbs
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana

I wanted to come back to say thank you for the suggestions - I made the changes to the 1Password application and it is much less intrusive to the browsing experience. I can confirm that the application is now sitting in the background, closed.

I really do think the the 1Password application on the macOS platform really needs tailoring to be a much better and a much less intrusive one. The experience on the Windows platform is much better - you can have the browser extension enabled in Microsoft Edge, the popups appear to present the saved logged in credentials in a much smaller window it and the application isn't open like it is on macOS.

Can the macOS version be amended to behave like the Windows version? The Windows version is a much better designed variant, with a much better end user experience.

Many thanks in advance,

Neil

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@neilhobbs:

Thank you for the update! I am glad to hear this :)

I don't think we currently have plans to move in this design direction, but I will be happy to pass your feedback to the rest of the team for consideration :+1:

This discussion has been closed.