Anyone using AES-256 Cipher for Python or XML serialization Clixml in PowerShell to store passwords

Kennyties
Kennyties
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I have been thinking of ways to securely create and pass passwords in the CLI and I came across two options. The first is AES-256 Cipher for python and the second is XML serialization Clixml in PowerShell to securely store the passwords. It looks like an AES-256 Cipher would allow me to call another file in my PowerShell script and the XML serialization Clixml in PowerShell would allow me to store and call the password in an XML file that I can set environment variables to my computer and username.
Does anyone have any experience with either of these and or does anyone see any glaring security issues in using these methods?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Can't say that I have any experience or opinion on these two, but it sounds like it should work.

The only security issue here is whether or not they store the passwords in plain text anywhere. If they do, then that's a problem.
    Why not use the CLI to generate passwords? https://support.1password.com/command-line-reference/#create-item

op create item password --generate-password=18

Then fetch the password item and use that password.

• Kennyties
    Kennyties
    Community Member

Hey @ag_yaron in both examples they store in a secure string that is tied to my computer and login. I am not using the create password because I am using the CLI to create items that already have a password.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for clarifying. As long as it works well for you, that's great :)

This discussion has been closed.