Adding a windows machine to what has been a WLAN Mac and iOS setup.

1guyinOhio
1guyinOhio
Community Member
edited March 2021 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I'm trying to figure out what to get, or if it will even work

I already have a local Vault on my iPhone and my Macbook, synced through WLAN. I'm looking to add a windows computer to share the passwords. However from everything I've read, a WLAN is out of the question to do that. It's just not an option on the Windows version of 1Password. That leaves 2 options and I have questions/concerns for both.

1. Use Local Folder sync method.
  2. Use the cloud service.

(One) The local sync method seem to be available for PC, but I don't see anything on my iOS device to sync to a networked folder. So is an iOS device not capable of syncing with a PC using the "folder" method? Is it even possible to get my Vault from my iOS to my PC using that method?

(Two) The 1Password Cloud service. I have so many reasons I don't want to do this. The whole reason I bought 1Password when it started was that it was NOT a cloud base storage solution and I do not want my data stored on someone else's computer... who admittedly in a post about their security says they're regularly a target. Putting that aside, let's say the storage is as secure as you claim there are 2 things things I hope to understand, Can I store an encrypted "vault" file locally? Companies go out of business all the time, and I don't always have access to internet but still need my 1password data. 2nd question, How would I "add" or "combine" my existing iOS Vault into a 1password cloud?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member

For point 2, your vault is accessible no matter what, with 1Password.com being only for syncing and web access. If you don’t have internet, 1Password on your devices will continue to work just fine.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @1guyinOhio!

(One) The local sync method seem to be available for PC, but I don't see anything on my iOS device to sync to a networked folder. So is an iOS device not capable of syncing with a PC using the "folder" method? Is it even possible to get my Vault from my iOS to my PC using that method?

I don't believe this is possible with the iOS app, only with the desktop app.

Can I store an encrypted "vault" file locally?

Certainly: you can create a vault and not sync it anywhere if you prefer.

2nd question, How would I "add" or "combine" my existing iOS Vault into a 1password cloud?

You can move it to 1Password.com:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

• 1guyinOhio
    1guyinOhio
    Community Member

Thank you both.

Ana, a clarification on wording. you used,

Certainly: you can create a vault and not sync it anywhere if you prefer.

Is "not" a mistype? Or is it an option? As in, I can web sync between my iPhone and my Windows PC, each device also storing the file locally and choose not to sync? Or, if I have the file locally on both devices which means i can not sync at all?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@1guyinOhio:

It's not a mistype: if you want to keep a vault stored only locally, you can just not enable sync for that vault, so it remains stored only locally on that device.

As in, I can web sync between my iPhone and my Windows PC, each device also storing the file locally and choose not to sync?

Sync is necessary if you want to have the same vault available on multiple devices. Perhaps I misunderstood your request however: you mentioned that you wanted to keep a vault stored locally, which is certainly possible.

If you do enable sync, however, a copy of the vault contents are stored on your devices, so they are available even when you are offline.

• 1guyinOhio
    1guyinOhio
    Community Member

That clarifies it, thank you.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @1guyinOhio, I am glad I could help :) If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.