Is There Any Planned Support for the PowerShell SecretManagement Module?

bmkaiser
bmkaiser
Community Member

The PowerShell team at Microsoft has been working on a module called SecretManagement that allows users to store and retrieve secrets from registered vaults. There is at least some support for other third-party password managers like KeePass and LastPass, although some of these appear to be developed by enthusiasts, not the actual company.

https://www.powershellgallery.com/packages?q=Tags:"SecretManagement"

Does the 1Password team plan on supporting this new method for accessing 1Password from the shell? Could it just be a wrapper for the existing CLI?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @bmkaiser ,

We don't have any plans at the moment to support specific 3rd party integrations, but that is exactly why the CLI tool exists - so users can build/script their way into anything they need to integrate with :)

Thanks for bringing it up though! Also, make sure to review any code that was written by other users very carefully before using it with your actual secrets.

• Kennyties
    Kennyties
    Community Member

Hey @bmkaiser, thanks for bringing this up. I didn't know something like this existed so I will need to look into it more. While I was searching around on the PowerShell Gallery, I came across this.https://www.powershellgallery.com/packages/SecretManagement.1Password/0.0.4.5

• bmkaiser
    bmkaiser
    Community Member

Thanks @Kennyties! Looks like someone has picked up the torch since I made this post.

• Kennyties
    Kennyties
    Community Member

You are welcome @bmkaiser Now I want to wrap my head around this!

• Kennyties
    Kennyties
    Community Member

Hey @bmkaiser what was your plan to use the Secret Management module for?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Perhaps it's confidential ;)

• bmkaiser
    bmkaiser
    Community Member

@Kennyties I'll mostly plan to keep secrets like API keys in 1Password and then retrieve them. This will help to make access to these secrets more universal where I can access them from multiple endpoints instead of having to rely on either the macOS Keychain or the Windows Credential Manager.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

That is a great use of the CLI :+1:

• Kennyties
    Kennyties
    Community Member

Hey @bmkaiser did you have any luck implementing this? I have been trying to think of ways to securely enter in passwords using the Secret Management and hit a few road blocks.
    @ag_yaron this may be better suited for the developer of the SecretManagement 1password module but I cant get it to work because every time I run it, it says that "op" doesnt exist. This may be because in my instance of the CLI I have to use "/.op". Do you have any thoughts on how to fix this?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Kennyties ,

If you reinstall the CLI, does it still only work from /.op ?

• Kennyties
    Kennyties
    Community Member

Hey @ag_yaron,

Thank you for following up. Looking over the documentation how do I find the config file to use or set /.op
    See below

The tool now follows the XDG standard more closely and stores your configuration files in "${XDG_CONFIG_HOME}/op/" (usually "~/.config/op/").

Your configuration in "~/.op/" will still work or you can move it to the new location. If you want to use a custom location, use the "--config" option with each command.

• Kennyties
    Kennyties
    Community Member

So the redownload worked now I just have to rewrite all of my scripts.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad to hear it :+1:

This discussion has been closed.