1Password 7 ignores 2FA codes when upgrading from v6

Options
Clementino
Clementino
Community Member
edited March 2021 in Mac

Hi team,

I just upgraded from v6 to v7 on Mac and have imported the vault from the 1Password keychain. Unfortunately it seems the 2FA codes were not imported.

I used to sync v6 with my iPhone via Dropbox, however now I'm unsure if I should just enable the Dropbox sync again or will that overwrite my 2FA setup?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers
Clemens

1Password Version: 7.8
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 11.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Clementino!

When you upgrade 1o 1Password 7, the new app should find the existing data already automatically. You mentioned that you imported data again however, so is is possible you imported a different version of your data, one without 2FA?

• Clementino
    Clementino
    Community Member
    Options

Many thanks for your prompt reply, ag_ana!

1Password 7 opened with an outdated version of my vault, probably around 2-3 years old.
    I then imported 1Password.agilekeychain from the 1Password folder within Dropbox. Which I think is what I've been syncing with my iPhone. The 1Password on my iPhone still has the 2FA codes, so I'm hesitant to sync as I obviously don't want to delete these...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Clementino:

I then imported 1Password.agilekeychain from the 1Password folder within Dropbox. Which I think is what I've been syncing with my iPhone.

Can you check in your 1Password for iOS settings > Sync, if this is actually the vault that you are using there?

• Clementino
    Clementino
    Community Member
    Options

Here you are:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Clementino:

Thank you! Can you now also post a screenshot of your 1Password for Mac Preferences > Sync tab, to check if you have the same configuration there?

• Clementino
    Clementino
    Community Member
    Options

I haven't got the same configuration on my Mac yet as I don't want to overwrite the vault in Dropbox/on my iPhone with the one on my Mac that doesn't seem to have the 2FA/OTP data...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Clementino:

You can always take a backup of the existing data in Dropbox, and keep that copy somewhere else in case something bad happens with the sync.

I wonder if it would just be easier to start from scratch in 1Password for Mac, and sync an empty vault with your existing data on Dropbox at this point. If the correct data is already there, there would be no need to import things manually, just point 1Password for Mac to the Dropbox vault in the first run. In case you would like to give that a try, here are the instructions to reset 1Password for Mac:

How to reset the 1Password app on a specific device

• Clementino
    Clementino
    Community Member
    Options

You're wonderful, that did the trick! 👌

Thanks for your help! 🙏

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome @Clementino! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.