None of the methods to add a photo of your passport work

jennybc
jennybc
Community Member

I just updated my passport and am trying to store a photo of it.

I go to Edit > Add New File > ...

Photo from Camera Roll <-- you can't actually select anything. You can see photos, select one, then nothing happens.

Take Photo with Camera <-- you can take a photo, but nothing is saved

After both of these methods, the entry has gained a file called "(deleted item)" that has no content.

1Password Version: 7.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 14.4.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:can't add photo of passport

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jennybc!

Photo from Camera Roll <-- you can't actually select anything. You can see photos, select one, then nothing happens.

Have you given 1Password permissions to access your photos in iOS?

• jennybc
    jennybc
    Community Member

No, I have not done so. Or at least I have no memory of being asked about this or doing it myself.

So I googled "give an app permission to access photos ios" and find:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/iphone/iph251e92810/ios

The first time an app wants to use information from another app, you receive a request with an explanation.

I don't think 1Password is doing this? It seems to have some access to my photos and camera, i.e. enough to start the job. But then not enough to finish the job.

• @jennybc

You seem to be describing a known issue.

1. Tap the vault chooser in the upper left-hand corner of the app.

• You likely see the rainbow-colored "All Vaults" icon.
    2. Change the chooser to the specific vault the item resides in.

• For example, switch to your "Personal" vault because the item you want to add the document to is within that specific vault.
    3. While in this vault, you can add a photo or other document and not experience the "deleted item" message.

• Add the document by Edit > Add New File
    4. If desired, change back to the "All Vaults view" by tapping the vault icon and then selecting "All Vaults."

Additional topic that seem to reference the same behavior. https://1password.community/discussion/comment/586318/#Comment_586318

ref: dev/apple/issues#4283

• jennybc
    jennybc
    Community Member

Narrowing first to the specific vault containing the passport entry DOES un-break the "take photo" feature. I succeeded in adding a newly taken photo. I still an unable to select a photo from the camera roll, i.e. from the photos I took yesterday.

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2021

@jennybc

Great one down. Let's see what we can do about the other. Can you open the iOS settings app and scroll down till you see 1Password. Tap the icon, and at the top of the list, you'll likely see Photos. Ensure your settings are set to all Photos and not Selected Photos.

I have toggled off the camera in the screenshot. It should be enabled if you wish to grant access for camera use.

• jennybc
    jennybc
    Community Member

Yeah changing that to "all photos" fixes it. It feels like "selected photos" should work but I can live with that mystery.

• :+1: Have a great day. Let us know if you run into any further difficulties and we'll help to track those down.

• aleru
    aleru
    Community Member

Could you please solve this issue? I was able to take about 5 photos just to realize that they all get displayed as "deleted". Then I had to google to find this thread telling me that the photos get only saved if I first choose exactly the one vault that has the entry I want to add the photo to. That's a very bad user experience. I'd prefer being able to save the photo regardless of the vault-filter selected or at least get an error message telling me what I have to do instead of telling me it worked while it didn't...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@aleru:

Thank you for the feedback! I have passed it to the developers so they can review your experience too :+1:

This discussion has been closed.