Exporting all, then re-importing all logins. clear previously used passwords?

So i'm one of "those" guys. Super OCD. Lets leave it at that.

The "show previously used passwords" is nice and has saved me from a failed password change. That being said, its also created clutter. Once i know my password change is good, I dont really need the last one. At least I dont need the one 3x back.

In my particular case while setting 1password up for the first time (ongoing process) I am changing all my accounts from an identical password. The same password. A password ive used for years and have finally gotten around to seeing how fortunate I am and investing here :)

i dont need the history as i know exactly what my last password was, for now. I'd like to start with a clean slate after this mess.

Through google ive seen it requested a few times over the years, and seen some apprehension from the team surrounding it. I understand not wanting to "remove" the feature for sure. What I dont understand is why there isnt either a "clear all" type button, or at worst an option to simply remove each saved password you want to remove individually. manually. Same way you can right click > reveal, the option could be present to > remove. It would be tedious but a fair enough balance to cover accidents and personal responsibility.

Some of us like neat n tidy a bit much and the more power/options you can put in a users hands the better in most cases.

I did happen across a post indicating that if you duplicate a login, it will give you a fresh copy with no history. I tested this and it was true which is great. Unfortunately using this on a large scale is a doozy. It adds "- copy" on the end of each duplicated entry so not only are you copying, then you are deleting, then you are renaming.

It got me to thinking, is it possible to simply export all your passwords then import them back into 1Password and have the history gone? Here's to hoping!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

Hi @klepp0906!

It got me to thinking, is it possible to simply export all your passwords then import them back into 1Password and have the history gone?

You can just try to export and import only one or two items. Just right-click the item you want to export and select export. After exporting is done you are able to import this entry. If it works the way you want it to work you are fine. :)

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member

Yep, that was the next step/plan. Just wanted to see if anyone knew ahead of time or brought up any potential issues I wasn’t aware of with the approach.

Wish me luck then :p

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

any potential issues I wasn’t aware of

Keep in mind to do this export-thing and eventually the deletion only with items you want to export and import. Maybe credit card or identity entries are not needed. ;)

Wish me luck then :tongue:

I do! :+1:

• @klepp0906 That sounds like a good plan! One small suggestion I would make is to ensure that the exported copy of your data is deleted from your machine after use - since that data is not encrypted, it's good to get rid of it to reduce the risk of it falling into the wrong hands.

Let us know how you get along or if we can help out with anything else! :smile:

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member

well, for what its worth - i exported and re-imported a single item to test. Apparently the exported data also includes previously used passwords.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'll have to go through something as drastic as trying to import into another browser, purge 1password, then reimport the csv from the other browser to clean-slate it en masse :p

will report back when i'm feeling adventurous

• Hi @klepp0909, could you try exporting your data from 1Password as a CSV file, and then re-importing into 1Password using the CSV importer at 1Password.com? When importing this way, you can ask 1Password to ignore the column of previously-used passwords.

When exporting from Windows, change "Export as filetype" from 1Password Interchange Format (.1pif) to CSV, and then follow the steps at the link below to re-import that data:

Import a CSV file at 1Password.com

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member

@Dayton_ag
    Hey, thanks for the reply. A little late, busy remodeling the bathroom. Finally done. Ugh, never again.

Anyways. I'll give that a shot as soon as I can, a bit embarrassed i didnt notice the option. Will let ya know how it goes.

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member

well fwiw, it took some playing with - but that did seem to do the trick so theres that. Appreciate the suggestion. Once i get everything squared away I'll do one mass export/import that way and that should be all she wrote.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hey @klepp0906 !

Great that exporting and importing the entries works for you. :+1: ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good @klepp0906! Thank you for taking the time to send us this update :)

This discussion has been closed.