Cross-platform/Cross-device sync confusion

Options
michaelbehan
michaelbehan
Community Member

Hello!

I have 1Password on iOS, Chrome OS, MacOS, and Windows. I don't think that Windows has support for iCloud synchronization - but my Private/iCloud vault is the default on iOS. This means that when I store a new item in my Private vault on iOS, I cannot see it in Windows. I know I can change this, but I'm hoping we can creative a more intuitive approach. Ever since I switched from the thick clients to a subscription it hasn't been crystal clear how my thick clients interact with the subscription service: I think the items I had from iCloud were automatically transferred, but I'm not sure - I may have moved them myself. I have been a happy use and advocate of 1Password for the better part of the last decade and I'd like to feel confident in sharing this wonderful software with people who might be overwhelmed by it.

While I am tech savvy enough to debug why my items are not properly synchronized across my devices, my concern is that less tech-savvy users may feel confused and discouraged. This is actually an example of why I am hesitant to share this with my family - because I would be their tech support. I appreciate any guidance/insight.

Warmly,
Michael

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Issues with FireFox extension on mac

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @michaelbehan

When you've successfully migrated to a 1Password membership you should no longer have a 'Primary' vault on any devices, and iCloud will be completely uninvolved with your 1Password data. The membership is what syncs your data. If you have a 'Primary' vault anywhere, then that would mean migration hasn't been completed. Instructions for doing so can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope that helps!

Ben

• michaelbehan
    michaelbehan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben

That did help. Thank you! I was able to move items out of my iCloud standalone vault and then delete it. Now I have the task of de-duplicating items, unless there is a feature for this. :)

Best,
    Michael

• @michaelbehan

I am happy to say that on macOS, there is a duplicate remover tool under the Help > Tools menu, called "Clean Up Duplicate Items." Please make sure you select the vault where the duplicates are. * It is very cautious and only removes what is 100% a duplicate. If any information differs in some small way, the tool reverts back to the user needing to make the ultimate determination on what should be kept.

• michaelbehan
    michaelbehan
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy That is a god-send! This feature just saved at least 45 minutes of my life. Thank you!!

• You're welcome. ;)

This discussion has been closed.