Trying to import from TrueKey, assistance needed w/MrC's Converter Suite [Solved]

Ian_M_Walker
Ian_M_Walker
Community Member
edited April 2021 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Greetings.

I really want to switch from the terrible TrueKey. I've had it since it was PasswordBox which was then bought out, changed and then bought out again.

I have 420 passwords plus many notes, etc. so obviously I'd like to import that.

If I go through the regular 1Password steps I end up with greyed out data. The titles, etc. are just grey blocks without text.

I then found the community created conversion tool but I'm running into Perl errors at the conversion step:

D:\OneDrive\Desktop\mrc-converter-suite>perl convert.pl -v truekey\tk export.csv
Command line does specify a valid converter name.
Usage: convert.pl ...

Supported Converters:
avastpasswords bitwarden chrome clipperz csv dataguardian datavault elpass enpass
essentialpim ewallet firefox fsecurekey handysafe ironkeyim keepass2 keepassx keeper
keychain keyfinder lastpass licensekeeper msecure msecure5 nortonis onepif passpack
passwordagent passwordboss passworddepot passwordsafe passwordsplus passwordwallet
roboform safeincloud safewallet spbwallet splashid stickypassword truekey txt2notes vcard
wallet4 yojimbo

Options:
-a or --addfields # add non-stock fields as custom fields
-c or --checkpass # check for known breached passwords
-d or --debug # enable debug output
-e or --exptypes # comma separated list of one or more export types from list below
-f or --folders # create and assign items to folders
-h or --help # output help and usage text
-i or --imptypes # comma separated list of one or more import types from list below
--info # get info about converters (for helper programs)
--notimestamps # do not set record modified/creation timestamps
-o or --outfile # use file named ofile.1pif as the output file
-t or --tags # add one or more comma-separated tags to the record
-v or --verbose # output operations more verbosely

Select one of the converters above and add it to the command line to see more
complete options. Example:

perl convert.pl ewallet --help

D:\OneDrive\Desktop\mrc-converter-suite>perl convert.pl -v truekey \tk export.csv
The file '\tk' does not exist.

D:\OneDrive\Desktop\mrc-converter-suite>perl convert.pl -v truekey \tkexport.csv
The file '\tkexport.csv' does not exist.

D:\OneDrive\Desktop\mrc-converter-suite>perl convert.pl -v truekey\tkexport.csv
Command line does specify a valid converter name.
Usage: convert.pl ...

Supported Converters:
avastpasswords bitwarden chrome clipperz csv dataguardian datavault elpass enpass
essentialpim ewallet firefox fsecurekey handysafe ironkeyim keepass2 keepassx keeper
keychain keyfinder lastpass licensekeeper msecure msecure5 nortonis onepif passpack
passwordagent passwordboss passworddepot passwordsafe passwordsplus passwordwallet
roboform safeincloud safewallet spbwallet splashid stickypassword truekey txt2notes vcard
wallet4 yojimbo

I'd appreciate any advice before I end up looking for a different product.

Also, do we have to click on "Save" every time we're entering new credentials? Is there no automatic option?

Cheers.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.23.1
OS Version: Win 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Blake
    edited March 2021

Hi @Ian_M_Walker πŸ‘‹

While we don't officially support importing data from TrueKey, as you found out, one of our community members, @MrC, has created a tool to help make this possible.

They're generally pretty active here, and since I pinged them above, they should be along shortly to assist!

Also, do we have to click on "Save" every time we're entering new credentials? Is there no automatic option?

Yes, creating new items and editing existing items requires you to "Save" each item. This is done to ensure that only your explicit actions are being reflected in your data, I know it's saved me more than once when I fat-finger things within 1Password 😜

• Ian_M_Walker
    Ian_M_Walker
    Community Member

Thank you, Blake.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Hello @Ian_M_Walker ,

Looks like you're having a little command line trouble (as every "sane" person does ! ). You are very close.

I'll assume the name of your export file is tkexport.csv, and you placed it on your Desktop, and that your command shell directory has been set to the mrc-converter-suite folder on your Desktop.

OneDrive based Desktop folders (or home profiles) do create a bit of a challenge since there is a little behind the scenes magic that is happening in Windows. So I'll suggest you move the mrc-converter-suite folder and your export file directly to the root of your C drive, so that they are located as:

C:\mrc-converter-suite
    C:\tkexport.csv

Then in the command shell, set the working directory:

cd C:\mrc-converter-suite

and finally run the conversion as:

perl  convert.pl  -v  truekey  C:\tkexport.csv

Let's see if this helps.

Tip: be sure that the tkexport.csv file is actually named as you think it is, and does not have a double suffix. You can use the dir program in the command shell to check this:

dir C:\

• Ian_M_Walker
    Ian_M_Walker
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

Thank you.

I got further than before. :)

This is the result now:

c:\mrc-converter-suite>dir
     Volume in drive C has no label.
     Volume Serial Number is DC82-0796

Directory of c:\mrc-converter-suite

03/31/21  13:14    <DIR>          .
    03/31/21  13:14    <DIR>          ..
    03/03/21  12:43            39,944 Changes.txt
    10/29/19  18:26             8,233 convert.pl
    03/31/21  13:13    <DIR>          Converters
    03/31/21  13:13    <DIR>          Formatters
    10/29/19  18:26             4,373 Get_Safari11_Passwords.applescript
    03/03/21  12:40             8,420 Get_Safari12_Passwords.applescript
    10/29/19  18:26               965 install_modules.bat
    03/31/21  13:13    <DIR>          Languages
    03/31/21  13:13    <DIR>          lib
    03/31/21  13:13    <DIR>          macOSConvertHelper.app
    03/03/21  12:44           919,088 README.html
    03/31/21  13:13    <DIR>          Utils
    03/03/21  12:44                16 Version.txt
                   7 File(s)        981,039 bytes
                   8 Dir(s)  51,277,922,304 bytes free

c:\mrc-converter-suite>perl  convert.pl  -v  truekey  C:\tkexport.csv
    Use of uninitialized value $title_key in hash element at
            C:/mrc-converter-suite/./Converters/Truekey.pm line 162 (#1)
        (W uninitialized) An undefined value was used as if it were already
        defined.  It was interpreted as a "" or a 0, but maybe it was a mistake.
        To suppress this warning assign a defined value to your variables.

To help you figure out what was undefined, perl will try to tell you
        the name of the variable (if any) that was undefined.  In some cases
        it cannot do this, so it also tells you what operation you used the
        undefined value in.  Note, however, that perl optimizes your program
        and the operation displayed in the warning may not necessarily appear
        literally in your program.  For example, "that $foo" is usually
        optimized into "that " . $foo, and the warning will refer to the
        concatenation (.) operator, even though there is no . in
        your program.

Use of uninitialized value $note_key in exists at
            C:/mrc-converter-suite/./Converters/Truekey.pm line 163 (#1)
    Imported 554 items
    Cannot create 1pif output file: C:\Users\ian\Desktop\1P_import.1pif
    No such file or directory

c:\mrc-converter-suite>

Cheers.

• Ian_M_Walker
    Ian_M_Walker
    Community Member

Ugh, why is it wrapping like that?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2021

@Ian_M_Walker ,

The dir command I was suggesting was to look at the contents of the C:\ folder, so you need to do:

dir C:\

as I suggested. Otherwise, you'll get the directory listing for the current directory you are in. Example:

Don't worry about the wrap above - its the forum software.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2021

@Ian_M_Walker

Here's the interesting part of your post:

perl convert.pl -v truekey C:\tkexport.csv 
    Use of uninitialized value $title_key in hash element at C:/mrc-converter-suite/./Converters/Truekey.pm line

This is indicating that the converter is not finding a particular column key for the particular type in one of your entries is empty in the export, and that's not something I've encountered.

You exported your TrueKey data as CSV. The suggested, supported format mentioned in the README is JSON. Are you able to export as JSON, as per the README?

• Ian_M_Walker
    Ian_M_Walker
    Community Member

Oh, I thought giving you the directory contents of the suite would show you that I had it at the root of C: That's why I did that.

And TrueKey offers no choice as to the export format. No surprise there. :(

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Ian_M_Walker

What version of TrueKey is this?

• Ian_M_Walker
    Ian_M_Walker
    Community Member

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Ian_M_Walker

I've modified my comment above, to better clarify, and I'll elaborate more here.

TrueKey places the Title of the entry under a particular column in the CSV. The column depends on the entry "kind" (what you think of as a type). For Login types, the column is the 'name' column, but for note and drivers it is under the 'title' column.

So I think your version may have changed this. Let me go check...

• Ian_M_Walker
    Ian_M_Walker
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

Yes, I did go through the columns and rows, matching the names to login, note, etc. when I tried the regular import to 1P.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Ok, @Ian_M_Walker

It's as I suspected. TrueKey has added a few new types. Let me add those to the converter, and I'll be back with you... Hold tight.

• Ian_M_Walker
    Ian_M_Walker
    Community Member

Thank you very much, @MrC. :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2021

@Ian_M_Walker

Very sorry for the delay - it took longer than I expected, as I had to examine the new categories and export formats.

I've placed a custom converter for you to try. It adds the new Wallet categories that the converter didn't know about. You can get the new version of that converter module in the folder Custom, at the converter suite location. Download the Truekey.pm file, and replace your Converters\Truekey.pm file within the mrc-converter-suite folder. I won't update the suite until it is working for you, and I've had a chance to document further.

Note 1: Dates in TrueKey are not validated, are ambiguous, and can contain garbage, so no attempt is made to parse these to place them within 1Password's fields. Instead, they will be raw dates, as exported, in the notes section of the record.

Note 2: TrueKey exports a "memberID" for a Credit Card, Identity, Passport, and Social Security Number. I presume these are linkages to a given "identity", but since each record has it's own First name, Last name, etc., the linkage is weak at best. You'll find this value in the notes area. I'm not sure what to do with it, since 1Password doesn't have this type of linkage. Your input is welcome.

Note 3: As usual, any fields that don't naturally map into 1Password, will end up in the notes area also (or using the --addfields option, they'll go into a custom section of an entry). Let me know if you need something different.

• Ian_M_Walker
    Ian_M_Walker
    Community Member

Thank you, that is very generous of you. :)

Looks like we're getting there. It seems the script is still expecting the traditional desktop location, though.

c:\mrc-converter-suite>perl convert.pl -v truekey C:\tkexport.csv
    Imported 554 items
    Cannot create 1pif output file: C:\Users\ian\Desktop\1P_import.1pif
    No such file or directory

So I moved it, temporarily.

c:\mrc-converter-suite>perl convert.pl -v truekey C:\tkexport.csv
    Imported 554 items
    Exported 6 creditcard items
    Exported 3 identity items
    Exported 1 passport item
    Exported 1 socialsecurity item
    Exported 1 driverslicense item
    Exported 426 login items
    Exported 116 note items
    Exported 554 total items
    You may now import the file C:\Users\ian\Desktop\1P_import.1pif into 1Password

I'm about to attempt the import. gulp

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2021

@Ian_M_Walker

Ok, better.

Sorry, use the --outfile option to specify the location for 1PIF file to be created. E.g. :

perl convert.pl -v truekey C:\tkexport.csv --outfile C:\1P_import.1pif

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2021

@Ian_M_Walker

I'm about to attempt the import. gulp

Don't worry, you can easily select the newly imported items and delete them in one shot. See the Tags area in the left sidebar. I do this dozens of times while working on a converter. :-)

• Ian_M_Walker
    Ian_M_Walker
    Community Member

Looks like it worked! :)

Thank you so much for taking the time.

It did leave me with quite a few greyed out items in the trash but I'm not concerned.

Cheers, mate!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2021

You're welcome, @Ian_M_Walker

You can Empty the trash, and it's a good idea before you get too deep, since then you can more easily recover item's you inadvertently delete. Right click the Trash and select Empty Trash.

Please examine your items when you can, and be sure you're happy with the results. It's better for us to clean up converter issues now, than for you to try to fix dozens or hundreds of items later.

• Ian_M_Walker
    Ian_M_Walker
    Community Member

Will do, mate. :)

Cheers.

• Thanks so much @MrC! I'm glad to see the import went smoothly.

@Ian_M_Walker Let us know if we can help with anything else! :smile:

This discussion has been closed.