Inline Auto/Suggestion Fills in Chrome

Options

I am using Chrome Version 89.0.4389.82 (Official Build) (x86_64), with 1Password extension (desktop app required), and version 4.7.5.90 of the Chrome extension, and while the extension works and autofills when I click on the extension icon up in the top right of the browser, I can't figure out how to get 1Password to show inline on form fields like it does in Safari (and like shown here https://i.1password.com/media/getting-started-browser/inline-save.png).

What am I missing?

1Password Version: 7.7.1.BETA-12
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS Catalina 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• To use the inline menu you'll need to switch to 1Password in the browser. Version 4.7.5.90 our classic extension does not support that feature.

Best Password Manager - 1Password in the browser

• Please make sure to only have one version of the 1Password extension enabled in a given browser at any one time.
  • ajt617
    ajt617
    Community Member
    Options

Does that extension support touch id? My understanding is that the extension I have, supports touch id (and others do not). So is it basically one or the other? I can have an extension with touch id or an extension with inline menu, but no both?

• @ajt617

No, Touch ID is not presently available within 1Password in the browser. We hope to bring that ability back soon. It was removed for a code refresh. If Touch ID is needed, the best option would be to continue the use of the 1Password classic extension until the feature returns.

• ajt617
    ajt617
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, thought that was the case.

As an aside, I love 1Password, but you guys really need to get your product (specifically extensions) sorted out.

Trying to keep up with which things work where and how, is maddening. I'm probably more technically competent than the typical person, and I'm routinely confused about the various options and version and configurations. It makes it really hard to recommend this software to the "layperson".

• @ajt617

The extension is in a bit of a flux with the Touch ID/code refresh. Hopefully, things will smooth out soon and make things easier. I'll pass on your comments to the team. Thank you for sharing them with me.

• ings
    ings
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_tommy

I had exactly the same question/problem as the OP about inline filling not working on Chrome on macOS. Like the OP I run macOS desktop 1Password.

So I googled the issue and ended up here https://support.1password.com/1password-browser-troubleshooting/ which provides incorrect advice about this issue (it says inline will work if the settings are configured properly).

May I suggest you update that support page to reflect your comments above? Thanks.

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2021
    Options

@ings

That page is for 1Password in the browser which is for Chrome and Firefox (and Chrome variants) Safari is also handled by the 1Password for Mac app. It is also mentioned on that page to cover general troubleshooting. The original OP was using the classic extension at the time of posting.

If you're using 1Password in the browser and not the classic extension the button will show up. Which is refereed to as the inline menu in Safari.

• ings
    ings
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I have no doubt you are right about the intention of the page. But the page title is "If 1Password isn’t working in your browser" and both myself and the OP experienced inline filling not working in the browser using the classic extension. In other words 1Password wasn't working in our browsers!

So I still think the clarity could be improved. YMMV!

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2021
    Options

@ings

:lol: I agree there is some tweaking that needs to be done here and there. I'll see if I can poke someone on the appropriate team. It's very much a work in progress. Hopefully we can get it a bit more detailed.

• ings
    ings
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_tommy

And thanks for explaining this - I've just switched to the newer Chrome extension and inline filling is working now.

• @ings

On behalf of Tommy, you are most welcome! If you encounter any other issues, feel free to let us know and we'll get right on it.

This discussion has been closed.