Can 1Password be used as a replacement for Authy?

Piggy
Piggy
Community Member
edited February 2021 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Can't find anything that says 1P supports 2FA token management but thought I'd ask. Hoping you guys are working on this. I have a new Apple Watch and cannot get the Authy Apple Watch app to sync accounts. It's never given me a problem before. The lack of at least community support is pissing me off. I use 1P for all other password management. Just to be clear, I'm just looking for the ability to scan a QR code, store the account/website info in 1P, and have 1P show me the time sync'd, one time passcode when I need it.

1P Works flawlessly on my Apple Watch!

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS Big Sur 11.2.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:can 1password replace authy

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Piggy!

Yes, 1Password can be used as an authenticator app too :+1:

Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

• Piggy
    Piggy
    Community Member

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS??! I've been a 1P customer since the beginning!

I just tried this with one of my accounts - it works brilliantly! I love how it automatically copies the the OTP to the clipboard! Update your google search stuff so that results for Authy, Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator, one-time password and OTP include 1Password. Also may I suggest screenshots and other verbiage on your website to highlight this feature. It did not jump out at me when I searched/looked for solutions to replace Authy.

I will be migrating all my OTP QR accounts to 1P! One suggestion - option in 1P to automatically include any account with a OTP password on the Apple Watch so that someone with a many doesn't have to update each one to show on the watch. Just a convenient feature. :-)

YOU FOLKS ARE THE BEST!! BRILLANT!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the kind words and for the feedback @Piggy, I am glad I could help :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• Kaveh
    Kaveh
    Community Member

Is this good security hygiene to store both your password and your second factor in the same password manager? As much as I love the convenience of this, I'm wondering if 2FA is made weaker by doing this in 1Password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Kaveh:

That's a good question! You can read a discussion about that here:

Why is it a good idea to store 2FA tokens in 1Password? — 1Password Forum

This discussion has been closed.