Restore ability to change icon in 1PasswordX

The most recent update of 1Password X (#v20145) removed the ability to customize the icon shown in the browser bar. The specific item in the changelog is:

Replaced the toolbar icon setting with a toolbar icon optimized for both light and dark system appearances. {#4659}

The previous iconography wasn't about "light vs dark" mode. It was about color vs greyscale. Please bring back the ability to change the icon.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• soakwashrinsespin
    soakwashrinsespin
    Community Member

Colour me disappointed by this change! (Pun intended.) The previous monochromatic icon option allowed it to blend seamlessly into my address bar but the new colour-only icon stands out like a sore thumb.

In Safari in macOS, the 1Password icon is monochromatic in both light and dark modes so I don't quite understand why the Chromium version needs to show all that blue.

• LiraNuna
    LiraNuna
    Community Member

I'm in the same camp of @soakwashrinsespin. The black and white colors of the old icons perfectly and seamlessly blended in.
    Please bring it back.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this, everyone.

In Safari, the 1Password extension icon changes automatically from monochrome to color when the extension has access to the website, and back to monochrome when it doesn't (e.g. a blank page).

I will forward your feedback to the developers.

ref: dev/core/core#4659

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

I also was a little surprised that my black icon in Edge and Firefox is now blue. But I'm using the 1Password in the browser extension only for testing purposes in these browsers.

Normally I'm using the classic extension in Vivaldi browser together with the Windows desktop app and here the icon luckily is still black. ;)

Please bring the black icon back into 1Password in the browser. :+1:

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Noted :+1:

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

As always... Thanks @ag_yaron ! :+1:

• djo
    djo
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

I got the same sensation of a small regression. Every icon of my Chrome was black & white, now the 1Password icon is breaking my sobriety pattern. 😄

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

the 1Password icon is breaking my sobriety pattern

:lol:

This should be fixed immediately. ;) :glasses:

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for chiming in @djo :+1:

• sethvargo
    sethvargo
    Community Member

Hey @ag_yaron - thank you for the reply. I’m using the extension in Chrome and it’s consistently in color. I’d really like the ability to change it back to mono.

The way most apps are handling this is providing a trinary option.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the additional info @sethvargo , I appreciate it.

• ChristopherB
    ChristopherB
    Community Member

Having the dark icon option again would be nice to have it blend more into the browser. Or even doing the Safari method of changing color based on if it has access to the website or not.
    (Maybe even an icon option that matches other outline icons in Edge? Wishful thinking but would be awesome!)

• Hey @ChristopherB. Thank you for the feedback — I'll pass along to the development team. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.