"Never suggest in browser" logins still appearing in suggestion in Chrome?

Peeeeekay
Peeeeekay
Community Member

I've set some logins as "never suggest in browser" but they still appear as suggestion in chrome.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 1.22.3
OS Version: 11.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @Peeeeekay

The never suggest in browser option is not a feature of the version of the extension you are using. That being 1.22.3.

Perhaps the best solution is to create a new vault that can be hidden from view within the extension. Then you can move any items you wish to be hidden into that vault.

Getting to know 1Password in the browser.

• reub
    reub
    Community Member

I'm running into this as well (v1.23.1). Not to be obtuse but why is the feature that controls whether a login should display in the browser not a part of the browser extension? That seems like a rather substantial functional gap not to mention a contribution to user confusion.

Appreciate the offer of a workaround but would ask that 1Password align the behavior of the Chrome plugin to the desktop version. Fragmenting vaults just to address a functional discrepancy seems kludgy at best.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@reub:

Not to be obtuse but why is the feature that controls whether a login should display in the browser not a part of the browser extension?

It's part of the classic browser extension:

Get the 1Password classic extension

The new extension currently works a bit different, and it currently does not use this information since it's independent from the desktop app.

• reub
    reub
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

@ag_ana Thanks for your reply. I suppose to clarify, I really have two questions. The first is more important to me:

1) Why is this feature not available on the "new" extension? If you consider that any stored credit card will be auto-suggested on any website unless sequestered to a hidden vault, that still seems to me like a substantial gap in functionality.

2) It appears there is no easy way to distinguish which fields on a login record are referenced by the different versions. In areas where they diverge, it would be good to have a way to understand this as a user.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@reub:

1) Why is this feature not available on the "new" extension? If you consider that any stored credit card will be auto-suggested on any website unless sequestered to a hidden vault, that still seems to me like a substantial gap in functionality.

The new extension was thought to be used independently from the desktop app (for example, to use it on Linux or on machines where you cannot install anything, such as a work computer). Therefore it never looked at any setting coming from the desktop app.

2) It appears there is no easy way to distinguish which fields on a login record are referenced by the different versions. In areas where they diverge, it would be good to have a way to understand this as a user.

When you say "different versions", what are you referring to exactly? And can you give us an example of how the diverge?

• reub
    reub
    Community Member

@ag_ana Thanks.

Re #1, I understand the historical context. My point is that this feature should exist in this extension and its absence is substantial. I'm asking 1Password to address this.

Re #2 What I mean is that if I look at a given field within the desktop version (for example "password" or "website") some of these fields are used by both the desktop version and the extension. Others, such as "display" is only used by the desktop version as you've pointed out. What I'm saying is that which fields are used by which of these versions (desktop vs extension) is not readily apparent to users leading to the sort of confusion inherent in this thread. Hope that helps explain.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@reub:

Re #1, I understand the historical context. My point is that this feature should exist in this extension and its absence is substantial. I'm asking 1Password to address this.

Understood :+1:

Re #2 What I mean is that if I look at a given field within the desktop version (for example "password" or "website") some of these fields are used by both the desktop version and the extension. Others, such as "display" is only used by the desktop version as you've pointed out. What I'm saying is that which fields are used by which of these versions (desktop vs extension) is not readily apparent to users leading to the sort of confusion inherent in this thread. Hope that helps explain.

I believe that the Display field is the only exception.

• reub
    reub
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

@ag_ana Great.

Is this the right venue to ask that the feature be implemented? If so, is it something you could advise on whether it will be taken up or not?

If not, could you point me toward the right place?

I ask because I've seen user requests in other threads sadly go unaddressed and it's hard to understand how 1Password chooses to incorporate features based on user-feedback.

• @reub

Would creating a different vault and moving all items that you do not want to be displayed in the browser to that vault work for you? Then there would be no need to edit each entry as you would only need to exclude the vault from view.

• reub
    reub
    Community Member

@ag_tommy Thanks again for the suggestion here. I believe it would but to me this is a poor workaround. As I mentioned earlier:

Appreciate the offer of a workaround but would ask that 1Password align the behavior of the Chrome plugin to the desktop version. Fragmenting vaults just to address a functional discrepancy seems kludgy at best.

To expand upon my earlier comment, I see this as poor because it's asking users to fragment their data along the lines of functional divergence between 1Password's different versions. It's not hard to see how this approach will quickly lead to an unmanageable proliferation of vaults which encroaches on the value of password management. A better approach would be maintaining the fidelity of behavior between versions (desktop and browser extension). I don't understand why this feature isn't present in the browser extension and while I appreciate the offer of a workaround, it seems better to me to address the root cause of the issue.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@reub:

Is this the right venue to ask that the feature be implemented?

This is the right venue :+1:

If so, is it something you could advise on whether it will be taken up or not?

This is a decision for the developers, but I can confirm that I have let them know that you would like to see this :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#534

• @reub

My apologies. I did not scroll up and see your other comment. Thanks for the nudge. ;)

• reub
    reub
    Community Member

@ag_ana, @ag_tommy - thanks to you both for your engagement on this. @ag_tommy - not a problem.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.