Password Generator - symbols

Hey,

is there a way to define the symbols to be used while generating a password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @disi!

If you mean the specific symbols to use, this is not possible. You can read more about the security reason for this here.

• disi
    disi
    Community Member

Hey @ag_ana, yes that one fits somehow, especially this quote

it appears that the symbol library has been significantly reduced...I no longer see items like ^ ; { ] |, etc. [...] it might reduce the occurrences of unacceptable passwords mentioned above.

Yes, again. We dramatically narrowed down the list of symbols to those which are most commonly accepted. At one point we were considering of offering "-" as the only symbol.

Please do let me know if you encounter sites where you do have to generate multiple times to find things that work in the site. In the long term, we would like to have an inventory of what sites allow or exclude what symbols and then generate with that knowledge. We may end up even further reducing the set of default symbols.

Because it seems not valid anymore and this is the point, if i generate a password with symbols in it it generate me something like this ">+4>3rB@U)MV6Y@Jt*;m" so those symbols like >; ) * are not supported everwere for example. Furthermore i cannot understand why it so difficult to offer the options to generate "userdefined" symbols within a password?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@disi:

Because it seems not valid anymore and this is the point, if i generate a password with symbols in it it generate me something like this ">+4>3rB@U)MV6Y@Jt*;m" so those symbols like >; ) * are not supported everwere for example. Furthermore i cannot understand why it so difficult to offer the options to generate "userdefined" symbols within a password?

We are moving towards an even better approach:

If a website has the passwordrules attribute coded in its HTML (hey-o, devs!), the brain can use those guidelines to generate a password. It can also check the list of websites that have custom password behavior. The list, which lives in the brain, is compiled in part with Apple and holds 200 websites (and counting). And my power users can still dive into the UI to adjust the password recipe, for those times you just need 49 characters.

You can find the whole blog post here:

A smart(er) password generator

• disi
    disi
    Community Member

hmm, well your new approach is not a bad one, but there are some flaws in the "service" thinking of your product regarding this case. So basically your doing nothing wrong with the new methods but you should just give the user, the customer their freedom to overwrite your defaults with the way they want to do it.

The reason for this is quite simple in my opinion, you as a company can do everything within your might to understand every usecase, scenario todo workflow what so ever of the customer but you will never be able understand and account everything all users wants.

So i would suggest to give the user the freedom to parametrize your generators and other settings necessary for this kind of stuff :chuffed:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback @disi! I have passed it to the developers for consideration :)

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#28

• disi
    disi
    Community Member

Thank you very much @ag_ana!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome @disi, happy to help :) If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.