Feature Request: Different "Ambiguous Character" or another way to limit symbol options

Options
hammertime9909
hammertime9909
Community Member

The last month or so I've noticed more and more websites requiring symbols (which is a good thing) BUT severely restricting which symbols you can use. Usually something like (only !,@,#,$ are allowed).

I love the password generator but it's become difficult to generate a password that meets the requirements because the generated password uses symbols that the system does not allow (even with the 'Allow ambiguous characters' unchecked). I find myself hitting regenerate many times and eventually getting frustrated and generating a password without symbols, then manually adding random symbols into it. It's not the end of the world, but if there was a way to check a box to limit symbols but still require them in the generated password. it would save a lot of hassle.

There must be some solution! Thanks! Also, I love 1password, been using it for years.

1Password Version: 7.6.791
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the 1Password Support Community, @hammertime9909! Always nice to meet a long time user who's commenting here for the first time. We're glad to have you, both as a user and here at the community.

I don't think there will ever be a time when the content of generated passwords (from our own generator or anyone else's) perfectly matches the requirements of all of the websites out there on the net. Password requirement at various sites, as you allude to, are an ever-evolving situation. Some require symbols but don't specify which ones. Others use a restricted set (and post it openly on the registration page). Still others use a restricted set of symbols but don't tell you which ones until you violate their policy by using a symbol outside of that set (why give people rules they can't see?). It can definitely get frustrating, especially when you have to hit regenerate once, or multiple times.

Our newest Strong Password Generator has used a restricted set of symbols that is likeliest to meet the greatest number of websites' policies (i.e. - the most common sets of allowed symbols). But although it's better than the previous generation in terms of success-on-first-attempt, there will still be times when you have to do more or less exactly what you've said -- add in symbols yourself, manually, or remove/edit existing ones. I wish I had a better answer for you, but under current conditions, we haven't found a way yet either to allow manual restriction of characters (beyond the checkboxes for symbols and numbers) that doesn't run the risk of allowing users to significantly decrease the entropy of the passwords they generate by micro-managing their choices. Our goal is to give you the strongest possible password within the allowable parameters, and that means allowing the generator to utilize the greatest amount of randomness. Whether you need to manually adjust the output before generation or after, you're doing essentially the same thing.

• ronkopassed
    ronkopassed
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to add a +1 on this request. Been using (and mostly loving) 1password as a Families member, getting everyone on the same page, getting kids to use it and maintain their access. I also use it for business.

I have to agree with the original poster. I am often having to change the characters to eliminate period (.), underscore (_), dash (-) and asterisk (*), which the password generator regularly adds. Honestly, I need to respectfully disagree Lars. Allowing us to limit the auto generated characters to a set of our choosing, as the OP suggests: #, $, !, @, would cover 98% of password needs and eliminate almost every character problem.

Please reconsider adding this feature to 1password so that we can avoid generating a password, entering it in a web site, and then being told only these certain characters are allowed. Thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the feedback @ronkopassed, I have passed it to our developers :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#28

This discussion has been closed.