Search results via 1Password7 browser toolbar icon returning nothing compared with the app

MickM
MickM
Community Member

This continues to frustrate the heck out of me. If I open up the 1Password7 app on my Mac and search for something then I can find it, but if I do exactly the same thing via the Safari toolbar icon then no results are found. I'm guessing the issue is that the toolbar search method doesn't fully search everything e.g. any secure notes (!) or the notes field of any of my passwords. I'm clearly doing something wrong because for something at version 7, not having this fundamental capability would be an epic fail...

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @MickM

Do you have the Safari extension set to search all vaults? Are you using more than one vault? Is it possible to add a screenshot here to illustrate the trouble you're having.

• Please, do not send in screenshots containing sensitive information. e.g., passwords.
  • MickM
    MickM
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

I only have a primary vault (that is also synced with iCloud). I took a quick look at the preferences but didn't see anything that modified the scope of my searching capability. I have attached a screenshot of me searching for something that yields two hits in the app, but (as you can see) nothing via the browser.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MickM:

I only see a screenshot that shows no results in the extension, are you referring to a different one with a separate screenshot from the app?

• MickM
    MickM
    Community Member

No, I didn't include the second screenshot showing 2 search results for the same searched text because it displayed sensitive information. I was hoping you'd just believe me. Anyway, have now attached an edited screenshot of the same search when done from the app.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MickM:

Thank you! Is it possible that you set these items to "Never suggest in browser"? To check this, click on one of these items in the 1Password app, select Edit and scroll down to the entry display. What does it say there?

• MickM
    MickM
    Community Member

In the app (1Password7) the two search results yielded one password/login and one secure note. For the secure note, there was no Display entry after I clicked on Edit. For the password/login, it looked like the Display field was already set for Suggest in Browser (actually, I've never done anything with that setting - it's always been left as the default). I have attached screenshots.
    All I want out of the search capability of Safari extension is the identical behavior as for the app.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MickM:

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• MickM
    MickM
    Community Member

I sent the report in an email to support+mac@1password.com 15 minutes ago but still haven't received any subsequent email citing a ticket number. Maybe you can track it down yourself - the email subject line was "Different search results between 1Password7 app and Safari extension" and it was set at 10:41 EST (in the US).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MickM:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: JYC-13635-746

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

In case it helps anyone, it's worth mentioning that 1Password mini, being designed to find information to fill in the web browser, searches major fields such as website, username, password, title, etc., whereas the main 1Password app has advanced search functions like "Search All Fields" and "Search Options" (selectable from the "magnifying glass" icon next to the search field) -- the main 1Password app window is designed around managing everything stored in 1Password, as opposed to filling certain types of information.

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

Very helpful. Thanks @brenty.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're welcome! Have a great week. :) :+1:

• MickM
    MickM
    Community Member

I got a separate from a 1Password support person outside of this discussion. Posting it here also:

Heya, Mick. Brenty here. Thanks for reaching out. To confirm, it sounds
    like you're using the main 1Password app window's "Search All Fields"
    option to find things there, and expecting the same in 1Password mini.
    Is that correct?
    Yes
    If so, while that's certainly something we can consider doing in the
    future, 1Password mini is intentionally designed to be more streamlined,
    and is not geared toward finding things like the contents of notes,
    which cannot be used for filling in the browser, that being the reason
    1Password mini exists. You can do a lot of advanced searching --
    including selecting specific criteria -- from the "magnifying glass"
    icon in the main 1Password app window anytime though. Let me know if you
    have any questions.
    Sigh - given how easy searching is, I find this limitation really
    annoying. Many times when I register or log into a website, the name of
    that website (which I know I can change) is cryptic. For example, my
    doctor's office has a website (with a generic name like ENT Associates),
    and he also has a medical portal for things like email and test results
    (with a different name like MyLaheyChart.com http://mylaheychart.com/).
    I know I can set up tags etc., but I just want to do the obvious thing
    like search for the name of my doctor which is already in the notes field
    for all of these different sites. Sometimes I can't even remember the
    website name I want to log into but I know it's in a smart note that
    contains text I can search for. Heck, this is just basic, truly
    fundamental stuff - please modify 1Password mini so it returns the same
    search results as the app. This can't possibly be hard!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MickM:

please modify 1Password mini so it returns the same search results as the app.

Thank you for the feedback! I have let our developers know that you would like to see this :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#332

This discussion has been closed.