unable to update 1Password 7 on a MacBook Pro running OS 11.2.3

tovanip
tovanip
Community Member

I've forced quit of 1PW 7 and tried numerous times using Apple Application app but it says unable to update, try again later.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 11.2.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:unable to update 1Password 7 on Mac

Comments

• @tovanip,

You may additionally need to quit Safari in order for the update to proceed.

• AN89AG
    AN89AG
    Community Member

I have the same issue on my iMac. This has been a problem for "a while". The problem seems to be that I have to quit 1Password to complete the update. I hit "Continue" to quit 1password, but it actually does not quit, so the update can not proceed. The only workaround that I have found is to go to Activity Monitor and Force Quit everything with 1Password in the name.

Please note that I have actually quit every part of 1Password that is visible, and I have quit Safari before attempting to update. I have even restarted and made sure that ALL applications that have a "Quit" button have been Quit. This has been the case for the last 3 or more minor updates.

• caw1password
    caw1password
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

IIRC, you normally have to quit 1Password to install updates, but it usually asks you to do so via a dialogue.

Anyway, I right-clicked the 1Password icon in my menu bar and selected "Quit 1Pasword Completely". I also quit Safari and, for the hell of it, I repeated all of the above in Safe Mode. In all cases, the error persists:

This has been going for a few days now. Some guidance or comment would be welcome.

Intel iMac on MacOS 11.2.3 & latest Safari

• jjjeck
    jjjeck
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

I do have the same problem for some days with MacOS 11.2.3 and 1password 7.8 trying to upgrading to 7.8.1.

Ofcourse I closed all browsers, 1password rebooted etc. I even killed (via terminal kill -9 ) the 1Password Extension Helper; but it returns with a new pid.

Even booting in save-mode did not work :-(

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@AN89AG, @caw1password, @jjjeck:

Can you try the steps posted by my colleague Tommy here and see if they help?

• AN89AG
    AN89AG
    Community Member

Thanks for posting the link, @ag_ana . I saw this late yesterday, but didn't get a chance to try it or post the link here. Hopefully, I'll get into it tonight.

• jjjeck
    jjjeck
    Community Member

@ag_ana : It worked for me. Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good @AN89AG, let us know how it goes :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @jjjeck! I am glad to hear this, and thank you for the update :)

• caw1password
    caw1password
    Community Member

@ag_ana the de-install/re-install you suggested went smoothly. Now running 7.8.1.

Thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @caw1password, I am happy to hear this :)

• bobr
    bobr
    Community Member

Same issue here. Have tried "quit completely," restarting computer, etc. Fails every time. Big Sur 11.2.3.

• @bobr

1. Quit all open web browsers, especially Safari.
    2. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click on the helper and select quit 1Password completely.
    3. Drag 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.
    4. Restart the Mac. This can most likely be skipped if you're previously restarted.
    5. Download the latest version of 1Password from the 1Password website.
    6. Quit any open web browsers and then install 1Password.
    7. Open and unlock 1Password before opening your web browser.

• bobr
    bobr
    Community Member

@ag_tommy That worked. Kind of a brute force, ball-peen hammer way to do it but finally the update is installed.

Thanks!

• Thanks for the update @bobr. Glad to hear you're up and running now. :)

Ben

• michthom
    michthom
    Community Member

@ag_tommy your suggestion to remove the app and reinstall (from App Store in my case) was the right one where all other attempts (safe mode boot, quit completely, quit browsers) had previously failed. Thanks for pointing out a simple and effective fix for the annoying bug, but my faith in 1Password remains unshaken!

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2021

Hey @michthom

Thanks for the update, and the kind words. I'd actually recommend downloading from our site directly as the issue is more likely to occur again for the next update with the App Store version. As it stands the update process in the App Store doesn't attempt to quit 1Password before updating, which can leave the app in an awkward state. We're hoping that'll be something that can be addressed, as it used to do so. In the meantime the direct download is more likely to provide a seamless update experience. Either way you go it is best to quit Safari before installing the update as Rudy alluded above.

Ben

• dhkirk
    dhkirk
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

Been trying to install 7.8.1 since release ... MacBook Air M1, Big Sur 11.2.3 ... keep getting

• @dhkirk

Try replacing the application. That process has been fruitful for those who continue to experience issues. Here are those steps.

1. Quit all open web browsers, especially Safari.
    2. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click (option-click) on the helper and select quit 1Password completely.
    • Feel free to try the update again at this point. If you continue to have trouble, proceed with a replacement of the application.
    1. Drag 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.
    2. Restart the Mac.
    3. Download the latest version of 1Password from the 1Password website.
    • Optionally download 1Password from the Mac App Store.
      • If your troubles continue, I would go recommend using the direct download from our site to get you going as quickly as possible.
    1. Quit any open web browsers and then install 1Password.
    2. Open and unlock 1Password before opening your web browser.
  • dhkirk
    dhkirk
    Community Member

I will try that ... BUT

it looks like this is a bug that is impacting a LOT of people ... uninstalling and reinstalling (assuming it works) will not FIX the bug, only CIRCUMVENT it. If your development team has a fail case, they should be able to fix it. If they DON'T - and since I, and others - DO have a fail case, wouldn't it be better support to troubleshoot on the fail case system, rather that remove whatever state is bad?

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2021

The issue is not within 1Password. The issue appears to be with the Mac App Store and the update process it takes. You can always switch to the website version which will not experience this problem.

How to install the 1Password app from 1Password.com after installing it from the Mac App Store

• 3rd party link.

Looking at https://mjtsai.com/blog/2020/12/29/mac-app-store-updates-failing-on-mojave/ it appears to be various issues for various OS's and may be a server side problem.

• dhkirk
    dhkirk
    Community Member

Still?

• It's possible. Who knows. It could be that one fix broke something else unintended. To know for sure you need to talk with Apple. The Mac App Store is run entirely by Apple, and we have no dealings with the inner workings. We can and do work with them when issues arise. We're working towards a resolution, hopefully.

• dhkirk
    dhkirk
    Community Member

This is the ONLY app this is happening with ... and it seems to be impacting a LOT of your customers ... perhaps take some ownership???

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@dhkirk:

Can you confirm if replacing the app with the one from our website helped? If it did, this would indeed point to an issue with the Mac App Store.

• dhkirk
    dhkirk
    Community Member

I didn't reinstall from your website ... does that mean its NOT a problem with the Mac App Store?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@dhkirk:

The problem in the Mac App Store, from my understanding, is that it's not able to quit the 1Password app completely during the update. This is something that does not happen with the website version of the app, which is able to quit completely as expected. It's something that only happens with the Mac App Store version of 1Password, so if you use the website version, you won't see this.

I also wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us in this discussion! It's really great that you are so passionate about 1Password, and we wouldn't be where we are without customers loving 1Password so much to take the time to voice their thoughts and help us improve it :+1:

This discussion has been closed.