Duo Push 2nd class citizens

jjo5555
jjo5555
Community Member
edited April 2021 in Families

Why is Duo push not available for individual or family subscriptions? Are we second class citizens? Why offer 2FA but not properly offer it when you already have the feature available?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• soshiito
    soshiito
    Community Member

TOTP is "free" to implement. Duo has a subscription cost. If you want Duo it is possible to sign your family up for a 1Password Business membership. That's what I've done, albeit for different reasons. I don't find any value in using 2FA with my 1Password account regardless of the flavor. The protection it offers for this application is negligible.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jjo5555!

I believe soshiito is absolutely right here, I suspect the price of individual accounts would increase if we were to add that cost to the subscription. If you want 2FA for your account though, you can enable it with TOTP or with a Yubikey already (although as soshiito mentioned, 2FA for your 1Password account might not offer the benefit you could imagine, since 1Password is based on encryption).

Authentication and encryption in the 1Password security model

• jjo5555
    jjo5555
    Community Member

None of that makes sense as I use duo push and it’s also free to implement for small teams of less than 10. And if there were cost it’s the end users cost not the integrators cost. Also your last comment doesn’t make much sense either. You’re suggesting that 2FA which I’m already using is useless. All I’m saying is I would rather get a push on my phone rather than having to open the app and find my number and then type it in. You haven’t really answered my question. Or maybe you have and it’s yes we are second class citizens.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2021

@jjo5555:

You’re suggesting that 2FA which I’m already using is useless.

Not useless: however, since 1Password is based on encryption, it is less useful than for an authentication-based product (your data is encrypted the same way, with or without 2FA enabled).

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your feedback! I am not aware of plans to introduce Duo for additional account types at the moment, but I have let the developers know that you would like to see this :)

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#316

This discussion has been closed.