Firefox addon is locked

Options
kazu
kazu
Community Member
edited April 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I have installed the browser addon for Firefox 87.0. The button has a lock icon, so I can't use 1Password (ver. 7.8, macOS 10.15.7). I do not want a login, i use iCloud. Whats wrong with 1Password in Firefox browser that everything is locked right after the installation?

1Password Version: 7.8
Extension Version: 1.24.0
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kazu!

The button has a lock icon, so I can't use 1Password (ver. 7.8, macOS 10.15.7)

Are you able to unlock it by clicking on the extension button and entering your Master Password?

I do not want a login, i use iCloud.

Can you please elaborate? What do you mean with this?

• kazu
    kazu
    Community Member
    Options

Are you able to unlock it by clicking on the extension button and entering your Master Password?
    No

Can you please elaborate? What do you mean with this?
    When I select the icon, a login button to 1Password appears directly. There is no other option available.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kazu:

No

What happens exactly when you try to unlock it? Do you get an error message?

When I select the icon, a login button to 1Password appears directly. There is no other option available.

Can you post a screenshot of this login button? Thank you!

• kazu
    kazu
    Community Member
    Options

1Password addon stopped reacting, so unfortunately I can't take a screenshot.

After that I uninstalled the addon, changed the browser language to English USA, and reinstalled the addon. After that I could access … Crazy world.
    Thanks for your patience.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @kazu! I am glad to hear that things are working normally again :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• jsinmichael
    jsinmichael
    Community Member
    Options

I too have this issue. The extension icon in the menu bar has a black padlock on top and the button is completely non-funcational. I reinstalled the extension and the browser was in English already. Can you please help?

Thank you.
    J

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @jsinmichael ,

Depending on your browser settings, you'll have to make sure 1Password has the correct permissions to run:

1. Click the Firefox menu at the top right of your browser toolbar and click Add-ons.
    2. Click the three dots next to the 1Password and choose Manage.
    3. Make sure that "Run in Private Windows" is set to Allow.
    4. Click on Firefox Preferences at the bottom left of the screen and choose Privacy & Security.
    5. Under "History" make sure "Firefox will" is set to Remember History.

Give that a try and let me know if it changes the responsiveness of 1Password in Firefox.

• jsinmichael
    jsinmichael
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_yaron

That worked. However, 1Password won’t run in Private Browsing Mode. Is this a new development?

Thanks,
    J

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jsinmichael:

Does this happen also after quitting and reopening the browser once, after you changed the settings?

• jsinmichael
    jsinmichael
    Community Member
    Options

If I change the settings to allow history, it will open the password prompt, but the prompt won’t open in Private Browsing Mode.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @jsinmichael ,

Do you see the 1Password icon on the top right corner of Firefox while in private browsing mode? or is it not there at all?
    If it is there, does it responds when you click it?

• jsinmichael
    jsinmichael
    Community Member
    Options

The extension icon in the menu bar has a black padlock on top and the button is completely non-funcational while in Private Browsing Mode.

• @jsinmichael

It sounds like you may need to allow 1Password to run in Private Windows:

1. Click the Firefox menu at the top right of your browser toolbar and click Add-ons.
    2. Click the three dots next to the 1Password and choose Manage.
    3. Make sure that "Run in Private Windows" is set to Allow.

Give that a try and let me know if it changes the responsiveness of 1Password while in private browsing mode.

• jsinmichael
    jsinmichael
    Community Member
    Options

“Allow” has been selected from the onset

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @jsinmichael ,

It's rather weird that things work correctly in a normal browsing window but not in private browsing. When you are in private browsing is Firefox still set to remember history in the settings? Or does that change? Make sure that "Always use private browsing" is not enabled as well.

• jsinmichael
    jsinmichael
    Community Member
    Options

Historically, I’ve used “always use private browsing”. Is the incompatibility new to the latest update?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2021
    Options

There were always issues when both "Always use private browsing" and "Never remember history" were enabled simultaneously, but Firefox changed things a bit in how the settings are structured and now when "Alway use private browsing" is enabled, it inherently never remembers history (even in normal browsing windows).

So I suggest you disable "Always use private browsing", allow Firefox to remember history, then manually launch a new private browsing window when you need it.

When Firefox is set to not remember history, it also does not allow us to write necessary files into its local storage so 1Password can't initialize.

• jsinmichael
    jsinmichael
    Community Member
    Options

Okay. Thanks for that info.

New development…

I have 2 different extensions on 2 different computers. One is the “password manager” and one is the “…extension (desktop app required). Can you please explain why this is? The “manager” is consistently locked. The “extension” works fine.

Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jsinmichael:

The "password manager" extension is our latest version of the browser extension, designed to run entirely in the browser without the need to install the 1Password desktop app. You can read more about it here:

Get to know 1Password in your browser

The "desktop app required" companion browser extension is our older browser extension, the one that required the 1Password app to be installed. Because 1Password in the browser is an exclusive for 1Password subscribers, you would use the older companion browser extension if you don't have a 1Password account, for example.

Our developers are working on introducing the shared lock state also for the newest extension, so it will unlock automatically like the other :+1:

• christopherallen81
    christopherallen81
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana

"Our developers are working on introducing the shared lock state also for the newest extension, so it will unlock automatically like the other"

I vote for this, because I run the desktop app, the Brave extension that is "desktop app required" and the Firefox "Password Manager" extension. Even if I'm logged into the desktop app, I still have to re-enter the password in the Firefox extension, whereas I do not have to do that in the Brave extension, so it's annoying in Firefox.

I assume what you're talking about will fix this. Do you have an ETA?

macOS 10.13.6
    desktop app: 1Password 7 Version 7.8.3 (70803004)
    Brave extension Version 4.7.5.90
    Firefox extension 1.24.2

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @christopherallen81 ,

Firstly, you can install 1Password Classic in your Firefox as well and enjoy the same experience as you currently have in Brave: https://support.1password.com/cs/1password-classic-extension/

Secondly, the feature Ana mentioned back in April here is already live in our beta versions. Simply install the latest betas of the desktop app and 1Password in the browser. Once both of them are in their latest beta, they will integrate and share the locked state. You can get the betas here: https://support.1password.com/betas

• christopherallen81
    christopherallen81
    Community Member
    Options

All right in FIrefox land now, thank you all!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad to hear it, @christopherallen81! Thanks for keeping us in the loop. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.