What is the best way to store/structure my parents' passwords?

Options
sspaus
sspaus
Community Member

One of the reasons I moved from Dashlane to 1Password last month was because the tagging feature made my life much easier with regards to my parents. They are both retired and not only could they never remember usernames and passwords at the best of times, they also couldn't ever remember which piece of paper they wrote them down on. So now I also have to manage all of their email, utility and banking passwords in addition to my own. I have tagged their respective passwords under their job titles of 'Mum' and 'Dad'

The problem is that now when I go to log into my own Hotmail or Apple accounts, their account passwords appear as a suggestion along with theirs.

Q1. Would vaults be the best thing to use for this? I don't want their information to be suggested as autofill options.
Q2. It appears that Vaults also have sub folder ability too? Is that correct? If so, what are the use cases for subfolders?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1Password Version: 7.6.793
Extension Version: 1.24.0
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sync Type: 1Password Sync

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options
    • A1. Vaults will help (I use them like that)
    • A2. 1Password uses tags not folders
  • sspaus
    sspaus
    Community Member
    Options

A2 - Correct. However, the attached screenshot from my web extensions shows my "Personal" vault which is indented to the right under my name.

Indentations like this imply hierarchy to me. So that's what I meant when it looks to me that "Personal" is a sub-vault under my name.

If it's not a sub-vault, why is it indented like that?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2021
    Options

Hi @sspaus

You're half right. :) In your screenshot the top arrow points to your membership, and then the bottom arrow is pointing to a vault within your membership. Your name happens to be what your membership is named. So you are correct that this UI is implying a hierarchy, but the hierarchy is that memberships contain vaults and people, then vaults contain items such as Logins, Secure Notes, etc. Tags are metadata on items. Vaults can be used to define who has access, whereas tags cannot.

Share passwords with your family

It may make more sense when viewing that same screen with multiple 1Password Families and 1Password Business memberships signed in:

I don't want their information to be suggested as autofill options.

Just confirming: the correct way to do this is to have their information in one or more separate vaults, and to exclude those vaults from the All Vaults view:

Use All Vaults to see all your items at once

I hope that helps!

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@sspaus Your name represents your account. So Personal is a vault under your account. If you create other vaults they will appear at the same level as Personal. If you have multiple accounts they will appear at the same level as your name.

• Ben
    Options

@missingbits

Great explanation. Thanks! :)

Ben

• sspaus
    sspaus
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much @Ben and @missingbits That makes much more sense now.

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome, @sspaus. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.