Clean Up Duplicate Items misses many duplicates?

Options
peterseibel
peterseibel
Community Member

I have many duplicate items caused by having imported an old vault from 1Password 6 twice. I ran "Clean Up Duplicate Items" and it marked many items which I then moved to the trash. But there are still many duplicates. I installed the CLI and wrote a script to check things out and it seems to be in many cases that the only differences between the items that are otherwise duplicates of each other is the overview.ps and the tags. Is that enough to keep Clean Up Duplicate Items from seeing them as in fact duplicates?

I can keep going with this script to make sure there are no other important differences between these seeming duplicates and then write a script to delete them but it seems weird that the built in functionality doesn't do the trick.

1Password Version: 7.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.15.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @peterseibel!

I think tags are indeed something that can cause this: if this list differs, the two items are not real duplicates, so the tool would skip them.

• peterseibel
    peterseibel
    Community Member
    Options

It's weird though that as I moved items from the imported vault (which were all tagged, I believe) into my main vault and then used Clean Up Duplicate Items and it did remove some duplicates. Just not all of them.

• peterseibel
    peterseibel
    Community Member
    Options

Anyway, the feature that would be really valuable would be a way to import passwords from (e.g. an old file stored in Dropbox) but be much smarter about not reimporting passwords that already exist in the main vault. But I finally got my vault cleaned up so I'm good for now. Cheers!

• @peterseibel

I'm happy to hear the duplicates are gone. Hopefully, this is something we can improve on in the future.

• kappabear
    kappabear
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having this exact issue myself, after having to import an old backup of an agilekeychain. The entrees that were imported were all tagged with "1Password Keychain Import 8-24-21", thus making them no longer exact duplicates. There were about 1500 items imported, and I'd HATE to have to manually delete each one of these duplicates. Is there someway to find and remove the duplicated items? I don't want to remove all if the newly imported items.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kappabear:

Have you already tried the Help > Tools > Clean Up Duplicate Items feature?

• kappabear
    kappabear
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, to no avail. The duplicates remain.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kappabear:

To confirm, is this the message you get?

Are the duplicates currently in the same vault of your other items? I ask because the duplicate removal feature only works within the same vault, so if they are spread over multiple vaults, 1Password won't consider them duplicates.

• kappabear
    kappabear
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

This is the initial message that I receive, and after I select "Move to Trash", there are no more messages.

As you can see in this image, there are many duplicates that remain.

With the only difference being the tag. Untagged. (The password strength indicator shows Weak password in one image, and Terrible in the other, but the passwords are the same, on this account that is no longer in use.)
    [removed by 1Password staff because it included personal information - this is a public forum]

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kappabear:

Thank you! I have removed your last two screenshots for your privacy, since they included your full email address :+1:

I will reach out to the team to let them know that the duplicate removal is not removing all items for you. Perhaps this is something that they can address in a future update.

• kappabear
    kappabear
    Community Member
    Options

I look forward to being able to remove the hundreds of duplicate entries without having to do it manually. (And thank you for your concern regarding the email address, but is very old and ha been disabled for several years.)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Understood @kappabear, and thank you again for your feedback :+1: :)

• kappabear
    kappabear
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana, just curious if there are any updates on how best to remove all of these duplicates?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We don't have anything new to share about this @kappabear, sorry. You can try generating a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, perhaps the developers can use it as a starting point to look at why these duplicates are remaining for you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

This discussion has been closed.