(How) Will Watchtower help with this 2021/2019 Facebook breach?

Options
XIII
XIII
Community Member
edited April 2021 in Lounge

Will Watchtower help with this 2021/2019 Facebook breach?

And what I probably want even more: any safe way to find out which data was leaked for my family members?

Comments

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    edited April 2021
    Options

In general do WT alerts come via the email associated with one's 1P account? Or does it appear as a "pop-up" when one logs into any 1P app? Or.....?

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

This might help:

https://www.troyhunt.com/the-facebook-phone-numbers-are-now-searchable-in-have-i-been-pwned/

(on HIBP itself, not via 1Password, as "There's no k-anonymity implementation for phone numbers at this point in time")

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

Watchtower generally only reports on breaches where there is a public announcement from the company that was breached and where passwords were involved. This particular situation does not appear, at least at this point, to meet that criteria. We'll continue to monitor for additional information and add it to Watchtower if appropriate.

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

In case of irresponsible companies like Facebook that’s a bad policy...

I think Watchtower could have even more value if a company refuses to do the right thing (notify customers) themselves.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the feedback @XIII. I am sure that the team considered every aspect of this before making the decision, but we can certainly continue monitoring the situation, as Ben said :+1:

This discussion has been closed.