Can I transfer attachments between Primary vaults (local vaults) on my Mac and my Android device?

rpaulson
rpaulson
Community Member
edited April 2021 in Mac

Can I transfer/sync attachments between Primary vaults (local vaults) on my Mac and my Android device via WiFi? I've created a new login item within my Primary vault on my Mac and afterwards I attached a txt file to this item. I had no problem synching the new item to my Android device via WiFi, but when I check the new entry on my phone the attachment is missing. Why is that? Is there any fix to this? Thanks in advance.

I've also noticed that this login item (including the attachment) is split into two items, a login item and a document item, when I copy it to my Private vault in the 1Password cloud. But afterwards I cannot import the document item into my Primary vault (local vault), it seems that this item type is not supported locally.

1Password Version: 7.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:transfer attachments

Comments

• @rpaulson

It sounds like you are using two different setups, a standalone Primary vault and a membership vault.

I've created a new login item within my Primary vault on my Mac and afterwards I attached a txt file to this item. I had no problem synching the new item to my Android device via WiFi,

Yes, that sounds correct for a Primary vault.

I've also noticed that this login item (including the attachment) is split into two items, a login item and a document item,

This sounds like a 1Password membership.

But afterwards I cannot import the document item into my Primary vault (local vault), it seems that this item type is not supported locally.

Correct a Document is not supported in a Primary vault. Only attachments are. We recommend removing a Primary vault when using one of our memberships for exactly the reasons you have posted here. A Primary vault is not part of your membership and syncs via a different mechanism.

Here's to get all of your data into your membership.

1. Check to make sure all of your data is available on https://my.1password.com and ensure you have a copy of your Emergency Kit.

2. If needed copy or move any items from your Primary vault to your membership vault (Personal/Private) that are not already present. * Please be sure you have the most up to date information in your Personal vault. * You may need to do this on each device.

3. Remove the Primary vault. * You will need to do this on each device. Be sure to complete step two on any devices you have.

• rpaulson
    rpaulson
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

@ag_tommy

Thanks for the quick response, appreciate it.

I'm not really using two different setups. I'm just using the Primary vault on two devices that I can sync over WiFi, as I'm not interested in storing my data in the cloud. But I need the 1Password membership to have more than just read-only access to my local vaults, don't I? So I just tried to see what happens when I copy an item with an attachment to my Private vault in the cloud, but I deleted it afterwards.

Correct a Document is not supported in a Primary vault. Only attachments are. We recommend removing a Primary vault when using one of our memberships for exactly the reasons you have posted here. A Primary vault is not part of your membership and syncs via a different mechanism.

But apparently the attachment is not supported on my Primary vault on my phone. I really like the different sync mechanism via WiFi, I'm using the Primary vault exactly for that reason. I don't want my data to leave my local network.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rpaulson:

It could also be a problem with the sync method, if the attachment is the only thing that is missing:

If your attachments aren’t syncing when using the WLAN server

• rpaulson
    rpaulson
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

@ag_ana:

Thank you for the link to the article, at least I have an explanation now, even though I don't like the answer =) Instead of presenting solutions to fix this problem, the help page just says, "It's not possible, use the cloud instead".

I get the impression that 1Password's policy is to push customers towards the cloudy solution (FAQ page, ag_tommy's answer, and other threads), which IMO is a bit sad. For me the option to sync over WiFi is 1Password's unique selling proposition and the main reason I chose 1Password over its competitors. Besides, I don't want to store any data in the cloud in a Family account, as long as I and other "family admins" have the power to delete whole cloud accounts including ALL passwords.

If you’re syncing on an Android device

On Android, syncing with the WLAN server does not sync attachments. To resolve this, you can choose to sync with a 1Password account. File attachments become separate items that you can manage independently. You’ll find them in the Documents category.

• I'm sorry to be the bearer of less than ideal news, @rpaulson, but support for the WLAN server in 1Password is quite limited at this point. All of our development focus is on 1Password memberships.

Besides, I don't want to store any data in the cloud in a Family account, as long as I and other "family admins" have the power to delete whole cloud accounts including ALL passwords.

Would you not have the ability to delete all of your data regardless of if it is stored in a 1Password membership or not? I do very much like the idea of offering family members to split off their Personal vault into an individual membership if the 1Password Families membership is deleted. I'll continue to advocate for a solution like that.

Ben

• rpaulson
    rpaulson
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

@Ben Thanks for your message.

I thought that I and other Family Organizer could only delete other family member's accounts (including their Private vaults) but that this wouldn't affect their Primary vaults on their devices.

I agree, the possibility to split off their Private vaults would be a great solution – and seems almost like a no-brainer to me. Of course, I unterstand that it takes a bit of time to implement new features. I would assume that the "Families Plan" is just a rebranded "Business account", at least from a technical perspective. In a business context the idea of "If you leave the company, you'll loose all your company-related passwords and sensitive data" makes much more sense, hence the admin should have much more power than a mom or a dad in the context of a family (or even a child if it's the tech-savvy person in the family who started the account).

But besides my critical feedback regarding missing features, from my perspective, I really appreciate the extremely fast response of the 1Password team here. That's great support. Thx!

• rpaulson
    rpaulson
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

I'm confused, I already wrote a long reply message that I posted. I'm very certain that it was already visible here as I edited a couple of times via the little edit button in the right top corner.

And there is not even an "delete button". If I edit the comment and delete all the content I get an "Body is required" error.

How can my post disappear? Is it maybe under review? Is there such a feature?

• @rpaulson

Our spam catcher was a on the young spring chicken side of things and decided it needed some additional review. :lol: I have restored your post.

• rpaulson
    rpaulson
    Community Member

Thx @ag_tommy

I started wondering if I should have my brain checked =)

• :chuffed: I think you're all good.

This discussion has been closed.