Newbie feedback

Options
mvsjes2
mvsjes2
Community Member

As a brand new user, I'm very pleased overall with 1p. I like the design with the secret key, and the emergency kits. I feel well protected but doubt I'd be locked out either, indicating to me that it's been well thought out.

One criticism I'd like to offer. I'm faced with training new users who range from not-very-technical to near hopeless. It would really help if you designed all the different apps to look and behave the same way, and make them more intuitive. Examples of what I've run into:

The browser app in particular:

• I have had to look up how to move an item to another vault at least three times since starting. I keep forgetting. The little icon next to item title is very counterintuitive. It looks like an upload button. The size makes it easy to miss. It's next to the "favorites" icon and seems to have the same importance as that. But when you click on it, it reveals many menu items. Why is it so insignificant on the page?
  • There is no mouse-over context for the icons for the items, so I don't really know what it's going to do until I click it. Is a non-techie going to feel confident doing this?
  • I have to click on an item to add a new item. Really? An item page should have actions for that item. A new item should have it's own button outside any item displayed.
  • I have to edit the item to move it to trash. Huh? There is a move menu on the icon next to the item title. Why not have a move->to vault/to trash or something there? That's the way the android app is. Linux again is totally different.
  • Once I'm logged in to one account, I can't see the items in other accounts on the browser. If it's there it's eluded me so far. Yet on the extensions and linux app, I can see each account or all of them together.

Overall the inconsistencies between the browser, extension, android, and linux apps make it confusing to me, and I've been working in IT for decades. Having to teach this to non-techies is daunting since I'll have to go over each app to point out the differences. If you just look at how to move an item from one vault to another alone, and all the different ways it's done between the apps, and imagine yourself as a scared non-techie, you'll see what I mean.

As I said at the start, I think this is a fantastic service, but the differences between the presentations of the apps makes it feel like there are many different teams all doing their own thing and not talking to each other. Why on earth would you start from scratch with each app and design them in completely different ways? Surely you can make them act like it's all coming from one company. From a user perspective, it lengthens the learning curve and will be intimidating for new non-techies.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mvsjes2!

Thank you for all this feedback! I know the developers are working on making every app have the same feature and functionality, so hopefully this will come in the future ;)

In the meantime, a couple of comments:

I have to click on an item to add a new item. Really? An item page should have actions for that item. A new item should have it's own button outside any item displayed.

This is not what I see in the web app: the "+" button is always available everywhere, I don't need to click on an item to see it. I just need to open a vault, and it's there at the bottom of the page for me.

Once I'm logged in to one account, I can't see the items in other accounts on the browser. If it's there it's eluded me so far. Yet on the extensions and linux app, I can see each account or all of them together.

The web app only allows you to login to one account at the time, that's correct. The apps and browser extensions are more powerful in this case since they allow you to add more than one account at the same time (I am not a developer, but I am not even sure if it's technically possible to login to multiple different accounts in the same browser tab at the same time). In every other website where I have multiple accounts, for example, I need to logout from one before I can login to another account on the same website. Or use different browsers.

• mvsjes2
    mvsjes2
    Community Member
    Options

This is not what I see in the web app: the "+" button is always available everywhere, I don't need to click on an item to see it. I just need to open a vault, and it's there at the bottom of the page for me.

OK, I see it's not exactly as I described, but it's more of a presentation problem. I see "edit" on the right side, which pertains to the item that's selected. On the left side, within the same section, is "+", which is for adding a new item. When I see a section partitioned off from the rest, I assume the buttons in that section are related. There is no mouse-over text to explain otherwise. A newbie is going to take longer figuring this out, since it's ambiguously presented. I realize this is nit-picking, I'm just saying the presentation could be better, looking through the eyes of a scared non-techie.

The web app only allows you to login to one account at the time, that's correct.

It would be good if that was explained on the login screen. As a user, my expectation is that "what I can do on one app, I can do on another". If it's not explained otherwise, that's what I'll assume. In this case, I've had to hunt around in frustration trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, then rant about it here, before I find out that it's designed that way. A one-line explanation that states "hey, on the browser, you can only see one account at a time" would have headed all that off at the pass.

Thanks for listening!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mvsjes2:

OK, I see it's not exactly as I described, but it's more of a presentation problem. I see "edit" on the right side, which pertains to the item that's selected. On the left side, within the same section, is "+", which is for adding a new item.

I see, understood!

A one-line explanation that states "hey, on the browser, you can only see one account at a time" would have headed all that off at the pass.

We can certainly consider whether we can add something like this on the login page in the future, thank you for the suggestion!

This discussion has been closed.