Question about my Profile

CharlesMHoward
CharlesMHoward
Community Member

Chrome is listed in my profile under devices many times with the same IP address.
It is listed once as my current device.
Is this normal?
If the duplication is not relevant to me can I get rid of it?
Is it normal to list this computer and Chrome (on this computer) as two separate devices?
Do I need to down load 1Password for each?
The instructions below to find Password extension tells me 1Password is not installed in my browser.

1Password Version: 7.6.793
Extension Version: unknown
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: unknown

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @CharlesMHoward!

Is this normal?

Yes, this is normal: I think this happens when Chrome updates, so it looks like a different browser.

If the duplication is not relevant to me can I get rid of it?

You can certainly clean up the list and remove previous versions if you like :+1:

Is it normal to list this computer and Chrome (on this computer) as two separate devices?

Yes: if you are also using the desktop app of 1Password on this device, it will show up separately in the list.

Do I need to down load 1Password for each?

Not necessarily, you could also just use the browser extension, if that's your preference.

The instructions below to find Password extension tells me 1Password is not installed in my browser

Which instructions below are you referring to? Can you post a link? Thank you!

• CharlesMHoward
    CharlesMHoward
    Community Member

Selecting which of the three versions of 1Password (Chrome, Desktop, extension) as my preference is hard. I have no idea at any time which I am using nor the functional differences of each nor which are installed on my PC. A link to a clear explanation of each would be helpful. Also suggested Google settings to keep Google from saving or offering to save passwords would help.

The link you asked me to post is yours and below the text entry box I used on your New discussion page that I got to from your Lounge. Right now I cannot go there because it is asking me to Sign In or Register. I suspect I am registered since I already use 1Password, its icon is on my PC screen tool bar with McAfee and others, and your web site should know that. The sign in link is a problem since 1Password does not fill in my eMail address nor whatever password you want when I enter my eMail address.
    After fooling around I had to go through a change password process to get back here. I did that but would have preferred to just have been able to post this reply without all the trouble.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@CharlesMHoward:

The link you asked me to post is yours and below the text entry box I used on your New discussion page that I got to from your Lounge.

Can you copy and paste the URL? It might be simpler that way. Thank you!

The sign in link is a problem since 1Password does not fill in my eMail address nor whatever password you want when I enter my eMail address.

What version of the browser extension do you have installed at the moment?

• CharlesMHoward
    CharlesMHoward
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

Copying and pasting the link only pastes the displayed text.
    The actual link is
    https://support.1password.com/check-app-version/

my screen capture of that part of the page and then your attach image button did this:

Clicking the link gets a page with this advice:
    How to find 1To find the version number, open and unlock 1Password, then choose Help > About 1Password.Password version

I have no idea how to "open and unlock 1Password"
    The only indication of 1Password is a small icon on the tool bar at the bottom of the screen.
    Clicking that I get a window from 1Password that asks for my key.
    Providing that gets me a smaller window with a few items and an entry field.
    It has no "help" choice to choose.
    Trying to use the screen snip it tool close that window before I can snip it.
    Using the PrtSc function on my key board and your link button gets this:

-- Image removed --

I used that button because the screen image is not a file and the other buttons require a file.

Do you have a way to actually help? Call me -- removed by staff for your privacy -- ? keep a text dialog open as a normal chat service? let me give you access to the screen? something ? At the moment this help process is the most difficult and time consuming to use that I have ever tried.

• @CharlesMHoward

I removed your telephone number for your privacy. As well as the image as it may have contained data you did not want to be made public. This is an open forum. Please do not post private information to the forum/community.

If you'd like to have a one on one conversation with the staff, I would recommend emailing us using support@1password.com

While we're not presently equipped to offer phone support, We would be happy to work with you by email. We have a great track record for helping folks over email and here in the community. I'm confident we can help.

I have no idea how to "open and unlock 1Password"

That means to open the application on your computer by clicking the app icon and then entering your Master Password to gain access to your data stored inside.

• @CharlesMHoward

To add to what Tommy mentioned, there are a couple different components of 1Password:

• 1Password mini, which is what your screenshot was showing, and is opened through the icon in the system tray (by the clock)
    • The main 1Password application, which you can open through your Start menu or desktop icon shortcut if you have one

The latter is where the menu in question is. I hope that helps clarify.

Ben

• CharlesMHoward
    CharlesMHoward
    Community Member

Thanks for the explanation about opening 1Password. I was frustrated by the fact that that was what I did and the instructions on what to do then were impossible to follow because they said to make a choice that was not available. I clicked the only 1Password icon that I have. It would be helpful for you to understand that problem and change your instructions accordingly.

eMail sound like your best offer I will do that.

This process reminded of someone's observation that, with the right amount of time, a monkey typing randomly would produce anything including a Shakespeare play. I prefer not to be that monkey and to have a bit of understanding as I type what I need.

• @CharlesMHoward

We look forward to hearing from you.

This process reminded of someone's observation that, with the right amount of time, a monkey typing randomly would produce anything including a Shakespeare play

I have heard the same thing. It's interesting that you mention it. I had never heard someone else mention that. Cheers!

• CharlesMHoward
    CharlesMHoward
    Community Member

Tommy,
    Thanks for the info removal and reminder this is an open forum. I thought of it as a personal help facility and when I need personal help I trust the help person with anything that I think may help them help me. Only once did this start to go wrong when I shared the computer control and the helper started doing things on their own without explaining or asking permission. I ended what developed into a battle for control by briskly moving the shared cursor randomly while I powered off the computer. Scared me a bit but it was a good lesson in what to do. I still officially trust and verify helpers who appear to understand me. Some day I might find out from the computer sharing facility people if there was better way to keep and regain control.

Ben,
    Thanks for your addition. I need to learn the language you-all use. So far it seems to me I need to understand what components of 1Password I am using, which ones I prefer using, and how to avoid cluttering my computer and brain with options.

• CharlesMHoward
    CharlesMHoward
    Community Member

Tommy,
    The monkey thing came from probability and statistics. Is based on solid math that implies that for any given finite string of letters, and any truly random letter generator, the generator will eventually generate that particular given string. It is why the fact of obvious complexity does not prove non-randomness nor justify the theory of Intelligent Design.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of both Ben and Tommy, you are welcome @CharlesMHoward. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help :+1:

This discussion has been closed.