To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Individual Subscription vs Family

jasnw
jasnw
Community Member

I've been using stand-alone 1Password for many years and am planning to switch to a subscription plan. My wife and I have been sharing a single 1Password database over this time, and I believe that the individual subscription will work for us. We have no need for separate master passwords and separate databases. However, I want to make sure that there's not a difference between the non-subscription 1Password and the individual 1Password subscription that will make it impossible for us to continue sharing a single database on multiple devices.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2021

@jasnw

No, no differences. You can share the same database on all of your devices using the same Master Password. You each would share the same credentials to access the account.

• jasnw
    jasnw
    Community Member

Great, thanks. Time to switch to the subscription model.

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2021

@jasnw

Let us know if you run into any difficulties. We would be happy to help.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

@jasnw
    That’s how I use 1Password too. Together with my family we are using the same account on all our devices. Actually there is no need for us to switch to a family account. But the kids get older and hopefully they want to use their own passwords in the future. This would be the point to switch to a family account. 😉

• Dekobell
    Dekobell
    Community Member

Question: Can someone assist me in choosing which account to use. Have some cognitive issues and hard time following written directions. I would need account to cover 2 laptops, iPhone and Android.

• Hi @Dekobell

Thanks for considering 1Password. The membership you choose would depend on how many people need to use 1Password. Each person can use any number/variety of devices. If you don't intend to share 1Password data with anyone else, an individual membership would suit your needs. You can sign up for that here:

https://start.1password.com/sign-up

You can upgrade to 1Password Families at any time if needed.

Ben

• Dekobell
    Dekobell
    Community Member

Hi Ben, thanks for responding. So if there are 3 people but one travels for extended business, can they use the same 1Passord? Is it just a matter of personal "privacy" like in a parent-child situation where the parent doesn't want the child to sign into their banking?
    Susan

• Dekobell
    Dekobell
    Community Member

Also, what is to be done if you have learned some of your email accounts are counted in the Facebook breach?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2021

So if there are 3 people but one travels for extended business, can they use the same 1Passord? Is it just a matter of personal "privacy" like in a parent-child situation where the parent doesn't want the child to sign into their banking?

If three people were to share an individual membership, they would all have the same credentials to unlock 1Password and have access to the same data inside it. As such, this is generally inadvisable. A 1Password Families membership would be the recommended solution for multiple family members. If this is for business use, then 1Password Business would be the way to go. :+1:

Also, what is to be done if you have learned some of your email accounts are counted in the Facebook breach?

That's a great question. To be honest I personally moved away from Facebook months ago and so I haven't kept up with the latest details on this incident. From what I have heard it sounds like passwords were not compromised, but some personal details such as email addresses, dates of birth, etc were. Some of that information can be changed, while some cannot. For the details that can, you'd need to weigh the possible benefit of changing vs the cost of doing so. As an example: you may be able to abandon the email account that was leaked, but it could take weeks to update that email address with all of your friends, family, and other services that have that address on record. Whether that is worth while or not is a personal assessment, and not something any of us can decide for you. I utilize a different email address for each service, and avoid using the address I share with friends/family for services, to avoid having to make that decision.

Hi Ben, thanks for responding

You are most welcome.

Ben

• SkriptedKhaos
    SkriptedKhaos
    Community Member

Sure am glad I never put my exact birthdate on Facebook.

• SkriptedKhaos
    SkriptedKhaos
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

In fact I put slightly different birthdates on almost everything and keep an airlocked ipad with the dates and where I used em in a password protected app that probably doesn’t exist anymore since I only use the tablet for an old version of bejeweled and the aforementioned app. Can’t be too careful.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Can’t be too careful.

Indeed @SkriptedKhaos :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.