M1 MacBook Pro unlock with TouchID not reliable

MWhite
MWhite
Community Member

After my M1 MBP goes to sleep, 1Password requires my long master password before opening. I have set 1Password preferences to require the master password every 2 weeks; I end up entering it multiple times during the day. Touch ID works with other apps on the computer. I have registered more than one finger for Touch ID.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.2.1
Sync Type: 1Password.com
Referrer: forum-search:M1 MacBook Pro unlock with TouchID

Comments

• @MWhite

I wonder if you'd like to give our betas a try. The native M1 support is still being polished in the beta. I'm wondering if you'll have better results with it?

Use 1Password beta releases

• MWhite
    MWhite
    Community Member

I'd be happy to give it a try, although I am a little hesitant given the importance of having access to our passwords.

• bluegold818
    bluegold818
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue on an Intel MBP (MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports)

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited February 2021

The software quality of 1P for MacOS is in decline, or at least it isn't getting significantly better. That's what I've learned to accept.

• @MWhite

If it helps I have ran each and every beta for the last 13 years on my Macs with my personal data.

• MWhite
    MWhite
    Community Member

OK. I'll give it a try!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good @MWhite, thank you! Let us know how it goes :)

• MWhite
    MWhite
    Community Member

FYI. It is a little better, but I still frequently have to re-enter my password during the day. It seems to be most likely to happen after the screen goes off.

• @MWhite

How do you have your auto-lock settings configured?

How to set 1Password to lock automatically

• MWhite
    MWhite
    Community Member

Take a look. They are likely the problem. Should I turn auto-lock off for everything? I assumed that I could unlock it with my fingerprint.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MWhite:

I think it's because you enabled Lock on sleep, since you reported this is happening every time your Mac goes to sleep. Have you tried temporarily disabling that option?

• MWhite
    MWhite
    Community Member

I will do so and let you know what happens.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good @MWhite, thank you!

• meanspa
    meanspa
    Community Member

Just going to share my experience in case it's helpful. Just started using 1Password and TouchId never worked correctly, it would say "scan your finger" but I would never get this MacOS popup:

I would have to use my Master Password every time (this was regardless of how the application was locked). I was just fiddling with it for a while and in the process two things happened:

• The application froze and I had to fore-quit
    • I manually locked 1Password for the first time (1Password Menu > Lock)

I can't remember which happened first but now it works as expected and I'm seeing the MacOS TouchId prompt. I'm not sure if either of those two things are related, but I'm just sharing them here in case it's helpful

My Setup:
    2020 MBP (Intel)
    MacOS 11.2.3
    1Password 7.8

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@meanspa:

It does sound like something got temporarily stuck on your machine. Thank you for sharing the update with the community!

• Fritz2
    Fritz2
    Community Member

Hello everyone

I have the same issue as @meanspa above - but it didn't get solve.

Actually, unlock with TouchID was working like a charm on my M1 Macbook - and then I upgraded to version Version 7.7 (70700016) which introduced unlock with Apple Watch. Since then, I can't unlock with my fingerprints.
    I have tried unchecking combinations between unlocks (fingerprint and watch), to no avail: whatever the choice, I always have to enter my master password to unlock, fingerprint is no longer working and watch never has.

Any idea what's going on/wrong?

Many thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Fritz2:

Can you try updating to 1Password for Mac 7.8 and see if that improves things for you?

• Fritz2
    Fritz2
    Community Member

Thanks for the tip.
    I'm on the Mac AppStore version, which reported v7.8 already installed although 1P itself reported v7.7... Weird.
    So I uninstalled and installed it back, and now I'm on v7.8 - first time I have this kind of version mismatch from the MAS in years, but... okay.
    And good news is that now, 1P does behave correctly regarding unlocking with TouchID !
    Thanks a lot for your help

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @Fritz2! And thank you for the update :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• MWhite
    MWhite
    Community Member

Things are better, now that I am using the beta version. Even so, periodically I have had to re-enter the master password more often than every two weeks, which is what I have set the preference to require. But better is better! Just thought that I would let you know.

1Password 7
    Version 7.8.1.BETA-1 (70801001)
    1Password Beta

This discussion has been closed.