No OTP QR code in Emergency kit

Options

Hello guys,

I do not see OTP QR code in emergency kit. how will I open the vault using emergency kit if I have OTP enabled?

Thanks
Sach

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@sach_nyc 1Password is getting people to focus on saving their secret key and doesn't want to confuse this message with talk of TOTP secrets. If you lose your secret key then there's nothing they can do to help, beyond suggesting where you might look. If you lose your TOTP secret then they can disable 2FA following a request from the email address you use for 1Password and after making you jump through some security hoops.

You can always disable 2FA yourself from an authorised device, so it helps to install 1Password on all your devices. And there are a number of ways you can back-up the TOTP long term secret stored in your authenticator app:

1. Use an authenticator app which stores then off-line like Yubico Authenticator;
    2. Use an authenticator app which backs them up locally like Aegis;
    3. Use an authenticator app which backs them up to the cloud and syncs across devices like Authy;
    4. Scan the QR code with more than one device, e.g. your phone and a friend's;
    5. Print or save the QR code for scanning later when you need to recover;
    6. Print or save the manual entry long term secret for entering later when you need to recover.
  • sach_nyc
    sach_nyc
    Community Member
    Options

that makes sense. thank you. Has 1password provided some guidance on how to let somebody else operate an account after they pass away?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@sach_nyc I'm not aware of any specific advice, beyond printing out and storing your Emergency Kit. However, it is discussed quite often and there are some ideas in the following threads:

https://1password.community/discussion/118625/access-vaults-after-death

https://1password.community/discussion/120185/best-method-for-estate-planning

• sach_nyc
    sach_nyc
    Community Member
    Options

thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of missingbits, you are welcome @sach_nyc! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.