Enforcing Settings with Configuration Profile, etc?

So 1Password 7 (Beta) is installed automatically on all our machines via Jamf and the 1Password X (Beta) Chrome extension force installed on managed browsers via Google Admin.

I'd like the ability to set or enforce settings for both the app and extension. Is this possible, is there any documentation? Best case scenario, there's available JSON schema I can load into a Jamf configuration profile to populate and set configurable properties.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.15.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @uu_sharkey

I apologize for the delayed reply here. I wanted to consult with some of the other folks on our business team, as I'm not personally incredibly familiar with MDM / Jamf setups. The team asked if you'd be willing to outline what settings you're looking to control, specifically, through Jamf? There are currently some limited options available for some of the 1Password apps, but we don't officially support Jamf at this time. This may be an area we can expand upon once we have information on what customers are looking for.

Additionally, perhaps a bit off-topic, but if you're deploying 1Password to your organization for production purposes I would encourage you to consider deploying from the stable channel rather than the beta. I understand the beta sometimes grants early access to upcoming features, but it also has sharper edges, and that in and of itself is a bit of a double edged sword. Things that appear in beta are not guaranteed to make the cut, and as such it may not be advisable to have end users become accustom to beta features, with the possibility of those features being pulled before the stable release.

Thanks!

Ben

• uu_sharkey
    uu_sharkey
    Community Member

Appreciate the reply, @Ben!

Regarding deploying the beta versions, this was actually to provide the team with the Touch ID functionality recently removed from 1Password X - Beta. I'll get around to deploying the stable versions, I just don't have time to deal with issues stemming from force removing 1Password X - Beta and force installing 1Password X (stable)... Unless there's a way to do that and maintain account information, I'd love to hear it!

When it comes to settings, I'd like to manage the following:

1Password X (Chrome Extension)

• Automatically lock 1Password [On/Off]
    • Lock after system is idle for [enforce time / prevent changes]
    • Lock when device goes to sleep [on/off]
    • Check for vulnerable passwords [ON]
    • Make 1Password the default password manager [ON]
    • Autofill [All options, enabled]
    • Notification [All options, enabled]

1Password 7 (macOS)

• Security - All of it, really. Specifically, I'd like to be able to enforce Auto-lock settings and "lock after idle" time.
    • Watchtower - Again, all of it. I believe one or two of these is disabled from the start. I want all of these ON.
    • Browsers - Again, all would be nice... But I'd like to prevent someone from accidentally turning Extension Helper OFF.
    • Notifications - Enforce/enable all of them
    • Updates - I want to enable/force checks and automatic installs of updates.
    • Updates - I'd like the ability to disable the ability for someone to use beta builds
  • Thank you for that @uu_sharkey! Very helpful. I spoke with our 1Password X team and they indicated that there isn't currently a method we're aware of to push MDM-style settings to a Chrome extension. We have filed an issue internally to investigate this further, though. We're tracking that as core-2475

I'm still waiting to hear back further from our Mac developers. We do have some options available for iOS & iPadOS, but I'm not sure they carry over to Mac (off-hand, I suspect they don't).

About mobile device management for iPhone and iPad

If there isn't currently a way to do so on Mac I'd be happy to put in a request for you.

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#2475

• @uu_sharkey

I heard back from our Mac development team. It is true that those settings do not currently carry over to Mac, however we are currently beta testing bringing them over. If all goes well we're hoping to have the same settings apply to 1Password v7.7 on Mac.

Thanks!

Ben

• Alkutraz
    Alkutraz
    Community Member

Hello @Ben

Any update to your last message? We are currently on 7.8 and just wondering.

I too would like to have options configured by an MDM like Jamf.

Thanks for your help

• There are MDM options available for Mac, which can be seen in this article:

https://support.1password.com/mobile-device-management/

Ben

This discussion has been closed.