1Password causes my monitors to flicker

Hello,

I have a Samsung G7 Monitor and when I open 1Password (any window) it causes the monitor to flicker it's brightness slightly. I was wondering if any developers could shed some light on why this is happening? Other users of this monitor have had flickering issues in the past, but the cause is somewhat elusive. I don't appear to run anything else but 1Password that causes the flickering, so knowing how it might differ in the way it is rendering could make it more clear what the reason is.

Cheers!

1Password Version: 7.6.780
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 2004
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ruu!

For confirmation, when you say flicker, do you mean the entire monitor area, or just the 1Password app window?

• ruu
    ruu
    Community Member

The entire monitor. It’s a known issue with this particular monitor with some combinations of settings and programs. However I only experience it with 1Password, so am keen to understand what the difference is with rendering the 1Password windows

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ruu,

I believe there is nothing unusual. 1Password 7 for Windows uses Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) and WPF depends on the Windows' graphics subsystem to render the apps. What kind of GPU you have? Also, if you reboot into Safe Mode with Networking, does the flickering issue remain there?

Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• ruu
    ruu
    Community Member
    edited September 2020

From what I can tell it's to do with adaptive sync (GSync). Moving the window around for 1Password is no where near as smooth as moving around other system windows (the refresh rate is 240hz). I wonder if somehow WPF is set / causing 1Password to render at a lower framerate, maybe it's locked at 60fps or something?.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ruu,

Your hunch is correct: WPF is indeed limited to 60 fps. You can learn more about it here.

If you use G-Sync, you can check this discussion of another issue with G-Sync and 1Password. Maybe this will give an idea of what might be going south? Please let us know. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• erulastiel
    erulastiel
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

Any updates on this issue? My Samsung monitor and my other Asus monitor both do this. Especially when dragging the window it stutters as I drag and the whole monitor flickers. Maybe has have something to do with the way 1Password interacts with my high Hertz monitor or something.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@erulastiel:

Have you tried some of the suggestions in the link my colleague Greg posted already? Did they work for you too?

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @ruu & @erulastiel !

Please check this topic, too:
    https://1password.community/discussion/comment/587633/#Comment_587633

Actually 1Password Windows app is working fine for me. :)

• Thanks @DenalB!

@erulastiel: The conversation that DenalB shared above (https://1password.community/discussion/comment/587633/#Comment_587633) has a potential solution that has resolved the stuttering issue for other G-Sync users in the past. When you have a free moment, could you try the steps at that link, and let us know if it resolves the issue on your machine as well?

This discussion has been closed.