Ability to provide access to my 1P on passing or in case memory issues

kalmdown
kalmdown
Community Member

Would like a way to take access to 1P and create a set of tokens that I could give to my family, that need to be used together, to get access. That way one person can't get access but the group could if something should happen - like death or dementia.

Could see each getting a QR code that needs to be used at once to get access.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @kalmdown

The best method is likely to be use our Emergency Kit and store it with a trusted individual.

• kalmdown
    kalmdown
    Community Member

I don't want to give any one person the access.

• vitovito
    vitovito
    Community Member

You can split emergency kit

• @vitovito

Thanks for sharing. That's an interesting idea.

• hnauta
    hnauta
    Community Member

I think it should be more a digital inheritance item where the is one special emergency kit to store in your will (or similar closed source) that gives access to the main user (in case of family package) so administration etc. is possible.
    Disadvantage of your own emergency kit is that the password is likely to change over time...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@hnauta:

I think the user is looking mostly at a way to not share the entire document, but rather how to split it, so there is no main user to access the account. Splitting the Emergency Kit in multiple parts is certainly an interesting idea for this.

• hnauta
    hnauta
    Community Member

For me the digital inheritance would be 2 fold:
    1) in my will I define the one who will be the new owner/admin for the family account
    2) define what digital possessions I have will transfer to whom. Say my domain ownership goes to my kids, the facebook accrount should be accessable to my wife. The admin in 1 should than be able to execute this part of the will by moving the login details to the new owner as defined in the will.

I see in Europe more discussion on how this is to be done by the social media providers, not sure if this is equally a discussion in NA.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

The admin in 1 should than be able to execute this part of the will by moving the login details to the new owner as defined in the will.

That sounds like a really good process @hnauta :+1:

• hnauta
    hnauta
    Community Member

Here my 2 cent on product sales:

1) this can be used as will/passing process for private customers
    2) for companies/soho customers going in administration to have the legal team or new owner take possession of assets of the company, which can be access able through the passwords/stored secrets

The process around this could include this special emergency kit that can only be used to get possession of the account. 1Password than requests an entitlement document (legal document, solicitor or court, etc.) before it transfers ownership/control. After ownership transfer the new owner can appoint a account manager that executes as needed (assume that is not part of 1Password checks, apart from the financial obligations towards 1Password (new payment details etc.))

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@hnauta:

The process around this could include this special emergency kit that can only be used to get possession of the account. 1Password than requests an entitlement document (legal document, solicitor or court, etc.) before it transfers ownership/control.

Note that 1Password does not have the possibility to transfer ownership for security reasons: the only person who can do so is the user who is the owner of the 1Password account itself. We built 1Password exactly so we don't have visibility into this (but we do offer the Emergency Kit for download to make this simpler to manage access for emergency reasons).

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

Thanks for the insight, @hnauta. As a general rule, I've found the mechanics of shifting ownership of assets (including confidential data and access to resources) to heirs is poorly understood and even less well executed in most software packages and by many companies. I recall my bitter disappointment that Quicken personal financial software had no ability to perform basis step-ups of standard financial assets, a necessary and essential task on the passing of their owner of record. Sounds like Europe is (once again) ahead of the USA in this respect.

• hnauta
    hnauta
    Community Member

@ag_ana I can understand that 1Password would like to stay out of this legal portion (and associated work) as much as they can... but an digital asset is still an asset I leave to my heirs in my will. So I think 1Password would have to think about this anyway in the future and build a process around it.

The first step should be to build the capability for this digital inheritance emergency kit, which is focused around being able to administer the account (not directly have view in the stored data).
    Step two could be what happens at the end of the billing cycle and 1Password promise that data is accessible even if subscription is not payed. Here my advise for now would be provide a new subscription and the tools to transfer the stored data from old account to new account. And do a good job at documenting this for the customers.

As further advise make it such that this process is applicable to both private as well as business customers.

@williakz thanks for the reply. Yes I do see the same; Europe data rules and ownership is difficult to understand for USA/CA companies. I do hope that 1Password will see the light and takes such advise from Europe into account for their products.

• @hnauta,

I'd suggest keeping a copy of your emergency kit, complete with your password in escrow/with the will/given to the lawyer/safety deposit box in this scenario. Your account would not be deleted for non-payment, it ends up in a frozen state. At that point your heirs could/would use the emergency kit to login to your account and resume the subscription with their own form of payment or simply access the items in their current un-editable form.

As Ana explained we do not have the keys to your data, that lives solely with you. This is why we also have no ability to reset your password should you forget it or initiate any kind of posthumous data transfer between accounts. Absent the combination of your secret key and your password that data is lost forever.

This discussion has been closed.