1Password button on Safari not working

Options
willtemple
willtemple
Community Member

My 1password button on Safari (13.1.3) no longer works. I assumed it was upgrade related, so I completed the upgrade to 7.8. The button however, while remaining visible, still doesn't work. Would someone know a remedy for this? Thank you for your assistance.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 7.8
OS Version: Mac Catalina 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Greetings, my 1password button on Safari no longer works, even after a software upgrade. Remedy?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @willtemple!

Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password? Can you click the button now?

It might be useful to quit and reopen Safari too once, just in case.

• willtemple
    willtemple
    Community Member
    Options

Presto! Problem solved. Thank you so much for your assistance!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome @willtemple! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• CaptainMorgan
    CaptainMorgan
    Community Member
    Options

This helped me too; thanks!

• ag_tommy
    Options

Sweet! Thanks for sharing and welcome to our community.

• amjbrown
    amjbrown
    Community Member
    Options

I have 1Password from the App Store and seems to be happening every time there is an upgrade on all our family Macs (combination of up to date Catalina and Big Sur installations).

After the update the extension in Safari does not work and 1Password mini works intermittently. Selecting Quit 1Password completely from the status bar right click menu usually restores order, although often it needs to be coupled with restarting Safari once or twice. I cannot work out the foolproof routine to get it working in a way I can communicate to my family (beyond a total Mac Restart).

It is a big drain on productivity. feels like a couple of times a week? The feeling is probably exacerbated by having an iMac, an MBP and dependents!

• ag_tommy
    Options

@amjbrown

I hope the latest update (7.8.3) has helped. It was to include fixes for 1Password not quitting on installation from the Mac App Store. Are you currently experiencing trouble?

• rcharouneau
    rcharouneau
    Community Member
    Options

I've been having this issue for a while now. Upgrade to 7.8.3 did not solve. Button doesn't work in the username/password window in safari and neither the does the 'unlock password' button. I am forced to copy and paste username and password to website which is extremely tiresome. I would expect more reliable performance for a subscription app.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rcharouneau:

Since you have already upgraded to 7.8.3, can you try rebooting your system and see if that changes things? Thank you!

• amjbrown
    amjbrown
    Community Member
    Options

Running...

1Password 7
    Version 7.8.3 (70803003)
    Mac App Store

...and it happening again on that upgrade for the nth time motivated me to post!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@amjbrown:

Should this happen again during a future update, please try the following:

1. Quit all open web browsers, especially Safari.
    2. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click (option-click) on the helper and select quit 1Password completely.
    • Feel free to try the update again at this point. If you continue to have trouble, proceed with a replacement of the application.
    1. Drag 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.
    2. Restart the Mac.
    3. Download the latest version of 1Password from the 1Password website.
    • Optionally download 1Password from the Mac App Store.
      • If your troubles continue, I would go recommend using the direct download from our site to get you going as quickly as possible.
    1. Quit any open web browsers and then install 1Password.
    2. Open and unlock 1Password before opening your web browser.

Let us know if this helps, and keep us posted :+1:

• amjbrown
    amjbrown
    Community Member
    Options

None of this helps. I have used 1Password forever. My whole family is struggling - the extension button just disappears from Safari and basically not much short of a reboot will bring it back. It is destroying the huge productivity boost that 1Password has faithfully provided over the years. I am beside myself with frustration :(

• Boosh
    Boosh
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, this happens after every update. It's frustrating.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@amjbrown, @boosf:

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

This discussion has been closed.