Search Limited to Name, Username, website

Murphybp2
Murphybp2
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Are there any plans to enhance the search capabilities of the 1Password App? It seems results are only returned based on the entry name, username, and first website entry. No other fields seem to be included based on my testing. So if I add custom fields with information, I can't search on it. I can't even search on a secondary website or information in the notes section.

I found this thread from a couple of years ago that seemed to indicate work was being done to improve search but doesn't seem like that has happened. https://1password.community/discussion/comment/497108#Comment_497108

1Password Version: 7.8.1.BETA-1 (70801001)
Extension Version: 1.24.0
OS Version: OS X 11.2.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Search all fields

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Murphybp2!

Are there any plans to enhance the search capabilities of the 1Password App? It seems results are only returned based on the entry name, username, and first website entry.

1Password for Mac should search all fields by default (I have just tested this in my app and I was able to get results no matter where that information is stored inside items). For confirmation, is this the 1Password app you are referring to?

If you are referring to the browser extension instead, this is currently not there yet, but in that case I can let your developers know that you would like to see this :+1:

• Murphybp2
    Murphybp2
    Community Member

@ag_ana, Yes, I'm referring to the desktop app. And I'm not seeing that result with it. In fact, I never have. I can take a screen recording and show you.

• Murphybp2
    Murphybp2
    Community Member

Actually, the extension seems to have better search than the app for me.

• Murphybp2
    Murphybp2
    Community Member

Ok, well, I just noticed the bar under the initial search results that says "Expand Search to All Fields". When I click that it seems to be searching everything. I've used 1Password for years and never noticed that. Is there a way to default having that on and not have to click the button every time?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Murphybp2:

Is there a way to default having that on and not have to click the button every time?

I am not aware of a way to do this unfortunately :(

This discussion has been closed.