How to avoid the need to login every time the browser starts

Options

Hi, I´m using 1password for a while and I´m quite satisfied except for one thing: I do not see the need to login into 1password again and again, every time I start the browser. I want the functionality of 1password to be available just after system start, as my credentials are checked by the system at this moment. So there is no security gap, if 1password provides it's services without asking for it's main password. It would be ok for me, to type the password once (I´ve choosen a long strong one) the system starts, but not with every browser start.
Where is the switch to change this behaviour?
Thank you very much and have a nice weekend!
Tobias

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• disi
    disi
    Community Member
    Options

AFAIK you can't and yes it would be a security flaw because some other administrator could execute the browser as you and had then full access to your passwords 8-)

• Hello @tptopu,

In addition to what @disi said, we understand that it is not ideal for entering your master password on every browser start. Hense, we are working hard to integrate the new 1Password in your browser with the desktop app so you can unlock both of them simultaneously using fingerprints or PIN. I can't tell you the exact date, but we are already at the final stage, and you can go here for more information and updates.

• tptopu
    tptopu
    Community Member
    Options

Hello disi, hello Nhat,
    thank you for your answers.

@disi: I do not think, that there are obligatory more admins for every computer ... If I´d leave my notebook to others with admin rights there would be more security problems than only a executet browser with my passwords ...
    Of course I understand your objection, but I use 1password primarily as a password-manager and do not allow others to use my computer with admin rights. I think it´s a question of the circumstances what level of securityis suitable for what situation, so it should be choosable.

@Nhat: My first thought was: fingerprint seems quite fair. Thank you for the link to the thread.
    I did not read all of the eight pages so I think I missed something. My impression was, the discussion is about the fingerprint-system on Macs an iWatches a.s.o. But I do use Windows and not every computer has a fingerprint-sensor. So this is -- I´m sorry to say that -- not an ideal approach for me.
    I simply want a switch: "Want to be asked for pw on browser start" versus "Want to be asked for pw on system start".

Yours Tobias

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tptopu:

But I do use Windows and not every computer has a fingerprint-sensor.

If you are on Windows, you can use Windows Hello and one of its alternative methods:

Use Windows Hello to unlock 1Password on your Windows PC

• disi
    disi
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @tptopu, well in addition to "real" Admin-Accounts are still viruses, maleware etc.
    It is just a bad thing, a security flaw to have an password manager and do not protect it, i know no tool which offer you this feature.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed :+1:

This discussion has been closed.