Autofill email when creating a new password

Options
atishay811
atishay811
Community Member
edited April 2021 in iOS

Most websites require email as the username. Why does 1Password want me to type my email address when I want to create a new password in the username field all the time? It is annoying, especially on mobile.

Can you pre-fill it and give an easy option to clear that (like pre-select) if I want to change it. In most cases, email is the username, and I do not want to type it repeatedly. Give me a 1 click autofill if you do not know the default.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @atishay811!

Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to to share this feedback! We appreciate every idea that could make 1Password even better.

I can see how this could be useful to you, so while I cannot make any promises, I can tell you that I have shared your feedback internally :)

Once again, thank you and have a wonderful day!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@atishay811:

While I was testing this, I realized something: when you create a new Login in iOS, a list of your email addresses should appear above the keyboard, so you can just tap on one of them to fill them. Would you prefer this to work a different way?

• atishay811
    atishay811
    Community Member
    Options

I don't see this. I normally create passwords by clicking on the suggestion dialog in iOS when I am in the password field anywhere

• rudy
    Options

@atishay811,

If you're talking about the iCloud Keychain password suggestion dialog such as : https://help.apple.com/ipad/11/en.lproj/Art/SFRI_password_P3.png

Then those passwords aren't being saved in 1Password at all. You'd want to make use of the AutoFill 'create login' button inside of the 1Password AutoFill extension to create a properly formed 1Password login entry as @ag_ana describes.

• atishay811
    atishay811
    Community Member
    Options

This is the dialog within 1Password where I see the problem.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@atishay811:

I get email suggestions on that window too. I wonder now if that is actually coming from iOS, and you have the feature disabled. Can you check under iOS Settings > General > Keyboard and make sure that "Predictive" is enabled? I believe that if it is, iOS should suggest email addresses that you have in your Contacts entry.

• atishay811
    atishay811
    Community Member
    Options

I have predictive keyboard turned on. Not sure what is off. Will try out more settings.

• :+1: Let us know what you find.

• atishay811
    atishay811
    Community Member
    Options

I tried contact cards on iOS, and they do not work. Wondering why 1Password relies on the OS for this feature. Most people have very few email addresses, and providing autofill on all platforms is very handy.

• SteveU75
    SteveU75
    Community Member
    Options

I am confused, are you saying that one password will not offer to remember a password that you create manually or w iOS generated passwords.

I’m coming from RoboForm and if I made my own password or used the iOS passwords feature to generate the password, RoboForm would then offer to remember it.

• @atishay811

This is something iOS does with or without 1Password being installed.

• atishay811
    atishay811
    Community Member
    Options

I want email to be filled Ip automatically in the 1Password UI. It seems 1P relies on the is to do this. We can close this. I will ask for help from apple.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Understood. Perhaps this is also something we can think about in the future, if it will be possible to do directly within 1Password. Thank you for the feedback so far @atishay811 :+1:

This discussion has been closed.