Removing 2FA from list once it is enabled

Options

Account still showing 2FA available after turned on. Should it be removed from 2FA list? It isn't causing any problems. Just curious.

1Password Version: 7.6.797
Extension Version: 1.24.0
OS Version: Vers. 20H2 (OS Bld 19042.867)
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:two-factor authentication

Comments

• Hi there @caduceus26, that's a great question! When you enabled two-factor authentication for your entry, did you use 1Password as the authenticator, or did you use a different app?

When making a suggestion for enabling 2FA, 1Password looks to see if the website in question is part of a known list of websites that support 2FA - if the website is known to support 2FA but no one-time password token has been added to the entry, 1Password will let you know that 2FA can be enabled for the account. However, if a different authenticator is used to provide the one-time passwords for the entry, 1Password doesn't know that 2FA is set up for that account, and will continue to suggest enabling it. Is it possible that this is what happened for your entry?

• caduceus26
    caduceus26
    Community Member
    Options

Sounds likely. Google Authenticator has been my app for 2FA for a long time. Thanks for the quick response.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@caduceus26:

Sounds likely.

There is a quick way to check this: if you open this item in 1Password, do you see a 2FA code being generated below the username and password?

• caduceus26
    caduceus26
    Community Member
    Options

"... if you open this item in 1Password, .."

Sorry. Can you clarify what item I should try to open? Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@caduceus26:

The Login item that shows this warning for you in the 1Password list.

• caduceus26
    caduceus26
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the clarification. No 2FA code gen'ed below username and password. What I do to get 2FA on a supported account is click on "Learn how to enable two-factor-identification" link and followed the instructions on the account using Google Authenticator as the app. I'm a long-time user of 1Password (back from the 1PW 3 and 4 days.}

As an aside: I never realized 1Password could be used as an authenticator. Guess when I committed to Google Authenticator I wasn't paying attention to this feature. If I wanted to switch I'm guessing I'd need a "do over" on all my 2FA accounts.

• @caduceus26:

Ah, I apologise for the confusion! Yes, 1Password can be used as the authenticator for online accounts that support the TOTP standard of two-factor authentication. However, there is currently no way to export 2FA tokens from Google Authenticator in order to transfer them to another authenticator such as 1Password. In that case, the next best path is to disable 2FA for the accounts, and re-establish it using 1Password as the authenticator.

Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

• caduceus26
    caduceus26
    Community Member
    Options

Got it! Thanks!

• @caduceus26:

Any time! :smile: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.