PeterCook
PeterCook
Community Member
edited April 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I'm slowly transitioning from an old to a new laptop. I'm running 1Password 7 on both machines (old machine is running Mojave, new one Catalina).

Things seem to be fine with all my accounts except when I log in to one of my banks. It works as expected on my old laptop and on my iOS device. But whenever I try to log in on my new machine my bank reports "Sorry, your login entry doesn't match our records". This happens in Safari (my default browser) and if I use Google Chrome.

Sync is working fine. I just created a new Secure Note in the new laptop and I could see it appear in the old laptop's account immediately.

I see that the new machine's 1P is from the Mac App Store while the old machine's 1P is from the 1Password Store. I don't expect that's an issue but thought I'd mention it.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks

1Password Version: Version 7.8 (70800001)
Extension Version: Safari
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7 (19H524)
Sync Type: subscription, family

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PeterCook!

Does it work if you copy and paste the password on the website?

• PeterCook
    PeterCook
    Community Member

No. On the new machine it doesn't work if I copy the pwd from 1P and paste it into the browser.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@PeterCook:

Are you able to share a URL to the website, so we can test it here too and see if we can reproduce the behavior?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the link @PeterCook .
    I didn't find anything out of the ordinary on this login page. I'd like you to compare the password on the two computers:

1. Open your 1Password app on both computers.
    2. Select the login item for this website to view its details.
    3. Reveal the password in the password field of the login entry and see if it is identical in both computers.

If it is identical, I'd like you to try and save a new login on the new computer like so:

1. Delete the current login item of this website from your 1Password.
    2. Get to the login page of the website and manually type in (or paste in) your correct username and password into the fields.
    3. Save it as a new login in 1Password.
    4. Go back to the login page and try to autofill it with the new login item you just saved and see if it works correctly.

Let us know how it goes.

• PeterCook
    PeterCook
    Community Member

Passwords were identical.
    1. I deleted the item from 1P on the old machine and could see it disappear immediately from the new machine.
    2. On the old machine I went to the web page and deleted the username (which I'd years ago clicked the "Remember me" button on the web page … this was the username only and not a pwd stored in Apple's keychain) and then manually copied and pasted the username and password. I was logged in.
    3. I saved the new login in 1P and saw it immediately appear in the new machine's 1P
    4. I logged out on the old machine. I then used the new saved login on the old machine to log in successfully. I then used the new saved login on the new machine and was able to log in.

Hurray.

Here's the detail that made the difference: the stored username included the first and last x digits of my access card but the middle digits were asterisks. This appeared to work on my iOS devices and the old machine but once I had deleted the username at step 2 above I was unable to use the copied username with the asterisks. I manually entered the access card number and saved that instead. The login now saved in 1P includes all the digits of the username.

Makes sense. The confusion was that 1P showed a username which the browser was displaying but presumably the browser was using a hidden (correct) username.

Thanks for the help.

Is there a way for me or you to delete this comment?

• @PeterCook

Great! We're glad to hear that creating a new login did the trick for you! If you encounter any other issues, feel free to email back and we'll get right on it. I hope you'll have smooth sailing from here on out though!

This discussion has been closed.