Syncing standalone vault from Windows to iphone

Options

I have a license for 1password 4. I've always maintained a local vault. A while back, I signed up for a subscription for 1password 7, and when I did it created an online vault. I had thought it would allow me to have a standalone vault on my computer that it would then sync to and backup online. But it doesn't do that, I would really like it if you offered that as a subscription option for people who like to maintain a vault on their computers as you can easily copy/paste copies to multiple local storage devices vs. it all being on 1passwords servers. It took me a bit to figure out how to transfer my new login account info item from my subscription online vault into my standalone vault I have on my computer.

Anyways, I'm thinking of just getting a license for 1password 7 for my Windows computer and one for my iphone. As I like to maintain a local vault. What are the best options for syncing my standalone vault that I have on my computer to my iphone? I've read some of your articles on this, but the instructions tell you to do things that I just don't see, i.e. "Go to File", when there is no "File" in 1password 7.

I'd like to avoid Dropbox as I just don't want to have to sign up.

I'm not sure if I can use icloud? The instructions from 1password is confusing on this as I couldn't figure it out.

And I see you can do it via Wlan, i.e. you wireless router? What are the instructions on that? As the instructions I found didn't make sense as it told you to click on things that I just didn't see in the program. I wouldn't mind using my wireless router to sync my standalone vault on my computer to my iphone when I adding things or make changes to my standalone vault. As that seems pretty easy and avoids sending it through the web like via Dropbox or icloud.

The other reason I'm thinking of just sticking with a standalone vault is that I just don't like the layout "view" of 1password 7. It's hard to look at and takes a lot of time finding things. I wish 1password 7 offered a "view" option where the layout was in a list form and looked like 1password 4. Though I'll probably start a different topic on the forum about this.

Thanks

1Password Version: 4 and 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• baker
    baker
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, need to add something. I was searching around the forum and I saw comments that the Wlan syncing from computer to iphone isn't available in 1Password 7, but it is available in 1Password 4? And so maybe the instructions I was reading about going to "File" wasn't instructions for 1Password 7, but maybe it was for 1Password 4?

I like using 1Password 4 and still use it. So I could just use 1Password 4 to sync my standalone vault from my Windows computer to my iphone? Though I'll still need to get a license for 1Password 7 as the browser extension for 1Password 4 broke in Chrome a while back as we all know.

Thanks

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member
    Options

Your only sync option for standalone 7 is using Dropbox. iCloud is not supported on Windows.

To clarify, your vault would exist completely on your device as well as in the cloud. If Agilebits were to go out of business tomorrow, you would still have all your passwords locally on all your devices.

• baker
    baker
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, plttn. I had added a comment above of new info I learned from searching the forum. Apparently there is a wlan (wireless router) syncing option for 1Password 4. As I have a license for 1Password 4 and still use that program as I really like the layout compared to 1Password 7. As 1Password 7 just gives me eye strain and a headache trying to scroll around looking at my items. So I'll do some more research on syncing my standalone vault from Windows computer to iphone via the wlan option in 1Password 4.

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member
    Options

Agilebits doesn't recommend continuing to use 1Password 4 as the last release was 3.5 years ago and who knows what security issues could have been discovered that have not been patched.

• baker
    baker
    Community Member
    Options

I wouldn't mind just using 1password 7. But I just hate the layout of it. The scroller thing disappears, which is annoying. I don't like that your items info is to the right side of the screen instead of at the bottom like in 1password 4. Also everything is spread out, which means you have to do a tone of scrolling and looking around all over the screen, whereas 1Password 4 uses a list layout and it's kind of zoomed out which makes it easy to look through your items quickly. Also in 1password 7, the "watchtower" is at the top instead of your categories, which is annoying.

I don't know when 1password 8 will be released, but I really hope they at least give you the "view" option where it looks more like 1password 4. But I'll probably start a different post about this as a suggestion for 1password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@baker:

The scroller thing disappears, which is annoying.

Can you please elaborate on this?

• baker
    baker
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana, the scrollbar thing that you grab with your mouse to scroll down your list. It disappears until you move your mouse over the scrollbar area, then it will reappear. In 1Password 4, the scrollbar is visible at all times.

• Thanks for your feedback on this, @baker. Are you finding that the scrollbar is not visible until you move the mouse over the scrollbar itself, as in you have to move your mouse directly overtop of the bar in order to see it? In my personal testing the scrollbar appears as soon as my mouse is moved over my list of entries.

• baker
    baker
    Community Member
    Options

@Dayton_ag, the scrollbar appears as it does for you when you move your mouse over the entries. It's annoying because I don't know where the scrollbar is until I move my mouse over the entries, then look around for the scrollbar, then go grab it and scroll. That scrollbar needs to be visible at all times so I can easily just go grab it and move it instead of having to hover over the entries and then have to look all over the screen for where the scrollbar disappeared to.

I'd prefer an option where you can set the scrollbar to be visible at all times. I'd also prefer a "view" option where the UI is in a detailed list form and looks more like 1Password 4's layout. I'd like a list form layout just like in 1Password 4 with the items info box is along the bottom of the screen like in 1Password 4. I love in 1Password 4 where you can easily look left to right on your items and see Title -> Location -> Password -> Modified. All in a nice easy list view of rows. With 1Password 6, everything is zoomed in and spaced out. It's just hard to look through to find the info or whatever I'm looking for. So I usually use 1Password 4 to find things as it's so easy to do.

Also in 1Password 6, it's annoying how the "Watchtower" is at the top and the "Categories" is at the bottom. That needs to be reversed as I want my "Categories" to be at the top like in 1Password 4.

Though I'll probably at some point start a new post of these suggestions.

Also it would be nice if on the forum, there was a "quote" option or something where I click it and it will automatically put "@Dayton_ag" in a reply instead of me having to copy/paste and do it manually. It's annoying having to do that every time, though maybe that option is already there and I just don't see it.

• Blake
    Options

@baker

Thanks for taking the time to write-in and give us your feedback on 1Password 7 and your usability with it in your daily workflow.

It's annoying because I don't know where the scrollbar is until I move my mouse over the entries, then look around for the scrollbar, then go grab it and scroll.

The scrollbar function and behaviour you mentioned isn't something we have any plans to change moving forward, though I will certainly pass your thoughts along to our development team to make sure we're taking a second look at things there.

I'd like a list form layout just like in 1Password 4 with the items info box is along the bottom of the screen like in 1Password 4. I love in 1Password 4 where you can easily look left to right on your items and see Title -> Location -> Password -> Modified. All in a nice easy list view of rows. With 1Password 6, everything is zoomed in and spaced out. It's just hard to look through to find the info or whatever I'm looking for. So I usually use 1Password 4 to find things as it's so easy to do.

Have you tried making sure you're using the All Vaults view to ensure you're seeing all of your items at once? It's certainly the best way to view all of your items at a glance without having to do much digging around.

Likewise, as a security-focused company, we heavily advise against using older versions of 1Password if possible. As it was mentioned in an earlier comment, the last major update to 1Password 4 was nearly 4 years ago, and since then we've made numerous core improvements to 1Password.

Also it would be nice if on the forum, there was a "quote" option or something where I click it and it will automatically put "@Dayton_ag" in a reply instead of me having to copy/paste and do it manually. It's annoying having to do that every time, though maybe that option is already there and I just don't see it.

No need to tag us! We receive notifications to every reply here on the 1Password Community. We will always respond, whether we are tagged or not!

• baker
    baker
    Community Member
    edited April 2021
    Options

The need for tagging someone with an @ is so they know I'm responding to them. Right now I have to copy and paste their name and then put an @ on their name. It's a pain in the butt having to do that every post. It would be nice if there was a "quote" or "tag" button on someone's post that you click and it will automatically put that "@" name at the start of the editing box when writing a new post. This is the only forum I've been on that has you do that. Unless I'm just missing something.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@baker:

There is an autocomplete feature after you type @ and start typing the name ;)

This discussion has been closed.