Win 10 app & Chrome browser plug-in need separate logins???

Options

I use 1Password on my Mac and in Safari on my Mac without problem, so am reasonably familiar with it. Now, helping my mother adopt 1Password, we are having trouble on Windows 10 and in the Chrome browser.

We have installed the program in Windows and that works fine and as expected. We also installed the plug-in for the Chrome browser on the machine, but it seems that the two are only partially connected. When opening or unlocking the Windows app and then trying to use the plug-in in Chrome, we are forced to separately open/unlock 1Password in Chrome in order to fill logins there, even though the Windows app remains open and unlocked, which is terribly inconvenient. Is this correct behavior?

It works in a more integrated way on my Mac/Safari, where unlocking in either seems to result in unlocking the other automatically. Also, I use the fingerprint reader on my Mac to unlock 1Password, which works great. But how does one use the face/camera unlock in Windows 10 in the same way to unlock 1Password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member
    Options

As of right now, 1Password in the browser (the extension formerly known as 1Password X) does not communicate with the desktop version (apart from on Linux with the beta version of both the extension and the new desktop client). Using 1Password Classic (https://support.1password.com/cs/1password-classic-extension/) will integrate directly with the desktop version, but is a less polished experience IMO compared to the newer extension. This will however change in the future as the desktop integration is currently being beta'd on Linux, with plans for it making it to Windows/Mac soon.

As for using Windows Hello, as long as the fingerprint/IR camera unlock is available as a Windows Hello device, going to 1Password desktop settings>Security>"Allow Windows Hello to unlock 1Password" will get you what you're looking for.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@KayCee:

But how does one use the face/camera unlock in Windows 10 in the same way to unlock 1Password?

In addition to what plttn wrote, I thought you might find this article on Windows Hello useful:

Use Windows Hello to unlock 1Password on your Windows PC

• ings
    ings
    Community Member
    Options

This thread (answer) is very helpful.

Like the OP macOS is my primary platform, but on Windows I recently switched from the classic extension to the "1Password in the browser" Firefox extension, and having to log in to 1Password twice was strange. Glad to hear you are working on bringing the macOS single login experience to Windows too.

P.S. Even on macOS, whenever I use Chrome instead of Safari I have the same "second login" experience. It would be nice to fix that too!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @ings ,

You can install 1Password Classic in Chrome on your Mac as well: https://support.1password.com/cs/1password-classic-extension/

This discussion has been closed.