Password generator options

Chris CA
Chris CA
Community Member

The only options I see are length, Random/Memorable/PIN & to add number/symbols.
How do I get it to use only certain symbols, ie. !@#$* **and not **%^&

TIA

Chris

1Password Version: 7.8 (70800000)
Extension Version: 7.8
OS Version: MacOS 11.3, iOS 14.4
Sync Type: local sync

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Chris CA!

You can generate a random password with the generator, and then remove the symbols you don't want afterwards. You cannot select in advance which symbols to remove though. In summary, these changes were made to improve security since they increase the randomness of the generated passwords. If you are interested in the technical details behind it, please see this post from our security team.

• deinspanjer
    deinspanjer
    Community Member

I completely agree with the value of increasing entropy bits, but unfortunately, I don't have the ear of the security teams of some companies I do business with.

For these companies, it would be very nice if 1Password had an additional field on the password generator that would allow you to specify a set of characters to exclude during generation. Please consider this feature request as it would make the hassle of creating a new password for an obnoxious site much smaller and allow 1Password to be the hero of the story. :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2021

Thank you for the feedback @deinspanjer! I have forwarded it to the developers :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#28

• cpal
    cpal
    Community Member

Totally agree with Chris_CA - as an avid 1Password user this is the one feature I think the platform is sorely missing. Adding an option on the password generator to exclude special characters for certain logins would save me a ton of time and hassle.

While I understand the desire for the most secure passwords, the simple reality is that some websites do not allow certain special characters and I don't believe that me manually updating a generated password to use the accepted characters generates a more secure password than one that would be generated by 1Password.

• Hi @cpal

We do utilize Apple's password manager resources to give us hints about which symbols are accepted by websites and which are not. This resource will continue to improve as people (including us here at 1Password) contribute information about specific sites to it. If you've found a site where 1Password does not generate a compatible password out of the box you may want to consider contributing those findings to the repository:

GitHub - apple/password-manager-resources: A place for creators and users of password managers to collaborate on resources to make password management better.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• ajvester
    ajvester
    Community Member

This is a sorely needed feature. I would propose that you allow users to create custom password profiles and link them to entries.

For example, there are banks that only allow certain symbols, or length and I would create a profile just for that bank.

Or, change the login entry to allow you to define the password rules for that specific login, with an option to set a customizable default.

Whatever solution is used, the user needs to have control over this, not the devs.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2021

Thank you for the suggestion @ajvester!

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#164

• kchase91
    kchase91
    Community Member

To add to this, 95% of the time the password generator works wonderfully and I have no complaints. But it's that 5% of the time where I need a security pin that can only consist of numbers, or a site that can only accept one special character, or one that requires one of everything, ect. that the password generator just does not meet the mark. Having to manually edit the passwords, regenerate multiple times, or having to google a random number generator is just unacceptable for a feature we are paying for.

I work I.T. so I understand the need to force simplicity and security, but there should also be an option for those of us who do know what we are doing. Ideally, an advanced mode that can be toggled on and off. That way we can keep the simplicity the majority of the time, but still have the advanced functionality when we need it.

I really like this product, but the devs need to get off their high horse occasionally. Looking at threads for a few of the other features that I feel this product is missing there is a constant sense of them treating us like children. There is very often a sense of "You don't need that because we know better" or "We won't give you a manual option because it should just work".

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback as well @kchase91, I have let the developers know :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#28

• malho
    malho
    Community Member

The other issue is that editing the password in the generator seems difficult. I have to cut and paste it elsewhere to edit it and then paste it back once I confirm that it works on the website. That’s too many steps that could lead to error. If I could edit it in the generator field, that may help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@malho:

Thank you for chiming in! I can see how editing items directly in the inline menu could be useful, I have sent this feedback to the developers as well.

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#43

This discussion has been closed.