1Password 7 does not work in Safari

kztanya
kztanya
Community Member
edited April 2021 in Mac

I installed 1Password 7 (7.8.1) on my mac (11.2.3) the other day, and today I am encountering a problem: when I access a password protected website, the icon "Unlock 1Password" appears in the username and password slot. Yet, I cannot click on the blue Unlock 1Password button. According to the 1Password website, the extension for Safari is supposed to download automatically, but it did not in my case. I had to download it separately, and it does not work either.

I see a note for additional information on sync type, but I am not sure where to find it.

Any tips for solving this issue will be appreciated.

1Password Version: 7.8.1
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
OS Version: 11.2.3
_Sync Type:
Not Provided

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2021

Hi @kztanya

You should not need to download the extension separately. Most often, Safari is holding onto the older version of the extension until it is quit. A subsequent relaunch of Safari will update the extension. When you attempt to download the extension separately, you may end up in a loop.

Let's replace the app to get you on a sure footing. Your data is maintained outside of the app and will be completely safe. * Please be mindful to follow the steps below, especially the part about NOT using an app cleaner. They have been known to remove user's data, and we DO NOT want that to happen.

1. Quit all open web browsers, especially Safari.
    2. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click on the helper and select quit 1Password completely.
    3. Drag 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.
    4. Restart the Mac.
    5. Download the latest version of 1Password from the 1Password website.
    6. Quit any open web browsers and then install 1Password.
    7. Open and unlock 1Password before opening your web browser.

Once we get you to this sure footing, we can help if you continue to have trouble's.

• kztanya
    kztanya
    Community Member

Thank you so much! It works seamlessly now!

• Rich2718
    Rich2718
    Community Member

Worked for me, once I realized I had open Trash up to drag 1Password 7 into it. Couldn't just drag 1Password ontop of the Trash icon.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you both for the update! I am glad to hear that everything is working once again :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.