Struggling to change passwords

Options
Angelfire
Angelfire
Community Member
edited April 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Hello. Pretty recent user of 1Password and generally I'm liking the convenience it's offering. However, I'm trying to update passwords from "poor" to "excellent" on a number of sites and it just isn't working. I log into the site I want to change the password on, click change password, fill the "current password" using 1Password, then in the New Password field, I chose the suggested password that 1Password provides. Unfortunately, and often, this password doesn't meet the requirements of the site (ie. too long, etc..). I don't see how to adjust the password there so I go back into my 1Password app and use the password generator to set the length of the password to what will work. Copy that and head back to the "change password page" at the site. Paste that into the "new Password field" and save it to 1Password under the login that I'm currently using. The problem arises when I'm asked to "confirm" the new password...I cannot paste and 1Password won't autofill this. So I'm either stuck having to type it in manually or just give up and stick with my old password (which is usually the case!). So any insights into what I'm doing wrong? Also, on the Suggested Password that 1Password provides when I'm trying to change the password at the site, is there any way to adjust the password on the spot and not have to go back to the app, password generator etc.....(specifically thinking length of the password as that seems to be the most prevalent reason for 1Password's password to fail). Thanks much.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Angelfire!

The problem arises when I'm asked to "confirm" the new password...I cannot paste and 1Password won't autofill this.

What website is this happening with, so we can test it?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@Angelfire Using 1Password in the browser, click on the 1Password icon -> Large '+' in circle -> Password Generator. Here you can choose a password type, adjust the recipe for that password type, manually edit the generated password and choose which type is used by the Suggested Password function. If you copy the generated password and paste it into the website's new password fields then 1Password will usually offer to "Save in 1Password". Does this work?

• Angelfire
    Angelfire
    Community Member
    Options

Hiya Ana. Honestly I don't remember the specific site....I was on a quest yesterday to remove all my weak passwords and dealt with a bunch of them. In any case, I was able to find work arounds to get nearly all of them done so that's good. I'm still curious as to whether I can set password parameters on the "suggested" passwords that 1PW suggests, on the spot. I'm familiar with the PW Generator but jumping back and forth is a bit tiresome. Thanks for the help!

• Angelfire
    Angelfire
    Community Member
    Options

Hiya Missingbits. I had a couple instances where pasting in the new password from the generator did not prompt a save request by 1PW. Most times, it did prompt me (and I quickly learned to click the tab to "Update" or I ended up with two entries...live and learn!). What I was hoping for was a way to adjust the suggested password on the spot and not have to go back to the generator to adjust. Cheers.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Angelfire:

I'm still curious as to whether I can set password parameters on the "suggested" passwords that 1PW suggests, on the spot.

You cannot do this directly in the inline menu that shows up below the password field, which I think is what you are looking for. If you need to customize the password for a specific site, you would use the full password generator that missingbits suggested.

The automatic password suggestions should work for the majority of websites, but I know that unfortunately some websites have special password requirements, so it won't work out of the box everywhere :(

• Angelfire
    Angelfire
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, it's kind of frustrating that sites don't allow for better passwords. I had one yesterday that the max length was 8 characters. Thanks for confirming that I cannot adjust the password parameters from the inline menu. What I did end up doing was using the 1PW suggested password, appended it in the site's PW field so it would meet their parameters, then when it was saved, I went into my 1PW manager and edited the saved PW to match what I appended the suggested password to.

As I use 1PW more and more, I'm liking it more and more....just trying to get through all the quirks/learning curve. Still debating about how to set up my Amazon/Netflix/Roku accounts though as the family isn't on 1PW, yet.
    Cheers.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We're glad to hear you're getting the hang of things @Angelfire .

Using the password generator from within the extension itself (on the top right corner of the browser) should allow you to overcome most obstacles and prevent the need to open the login item and manually editing it.

If you encounter websites where 1Password suggests incompatible passwords, feel free to report them to us since we're using their requirements to improve our suggestions.

For websites that other family members use (but don't use 1Password yet), I suggest worded passwords. Get to the generator in the extension and change it from "Smart Passwords" to "Memorable Passwords" and it will generate strong passwords that are easy to type (and even remember). For example: https://1password.com/password-generator/?type=memorable

This discussion has been closed.