A better way to save new accounts? / Problems with registering new accounts

gaza1994
gaza1994
Community Member
edited April 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

So ive been using 1Password for quite some time now and the only major annoyance i have with it is when registering on websites.

1) Sometimes it will prompt me to generate a password and that will then prompt me to save that into my 1password vault, but 9 times out of 10 its missing the username/email address and therefore have to go in and edit it.

2) Most of the time, i will not be prompted to save a new login when registering and will have to copy paste all my details in (thanks clipboard manager 😂)

Are these issues yous are aware of? I've come from using LastPass which seemed to have handled this rather well (its like the only thing they handled really well 😂😂😂)

1Password Version: latest
Extension Version: latest
OS Version: Windys 10
Sync Type: 1Password Sync doo-daa

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gaza1994!

What version of the 1Password browser extension are you using at the moment?

• gaza1994
    gaza1994
    Community Member

version 1.24.0

• gaza1994
    gaza1994
    Community Member

@ag_ana version 1.24.0

• btmurrell
    btmurrell
    Community Member

I have this experience sometimes too. I too converted our family account from lastpass, and concur this is definitely advantage: lastpass. My wife curses me every time she has to go through this. No shame in offering the flow that LP provides.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @gaza1994 and @btmurrell ,

1Password should offer you to save all the information that is available on a page such as username, email and any other fields that may need autofilling. If you encounter a website where it doesn't work that way, please report it here so we can investigate (and improve 1Password accordingly if applicable).

In cases where a website separates each login field into a different page, e.g. username field on the first page, then the password field on a different page, then you'll want to save both of them separately, like this: https://support.1password.com/create-multi-page-login/

We'll be more than happy to help you with any and all websites where you encounter troubles so do feel free to report them here alongside with a direct link to the page in question.

• dclark
    dclark
    Community Member

I have found, since upgrading 1Password a few months ago, the same thing (v. 1.24.1).. Mac OS/Big Sur... Chrome.

I can see the 1P logo at right in each fillable field, but if I simply create a username/password for new sites (or for updates to those already saved, for that matter), I do not get asked.. nor does 1Password autosave my entries.

Currently useless, right now.

Funny... when I just signed up/into the 1Password community.. 1Password finally asked me to save my password details. Literally the first time I have seen it.

• @dclark

You're right. The new version of 1Password does not have an autosave prompt. Instead, when you enter your credentials into a login form you'll be prompted from the inline menu to Save in 1Password. Alternatively, you can also manually save your login.

We do currently have an open feature request to bring autosave to the new version of 1Password for your browser. I'd be happy to add your name to the list of users who would like to see this.

• dclark
    dclark
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_chantelle

What I'm saying though, is there is/was/has been NO prompt. No inline prompt from the inline menu to Save in 1Password. Simply a suggestion of a generated string password.

The only time I saw the prompt you are referring to, was when I signed up on this community board. Nowhere else, have I seen it.

~D

• InterrobangMP
    InterrobangMP
    Community Member

I don't see why 1Pass can't just always have an option to save a password, whether there is an existing password detected, or no password detected. I have had a few different sites, where I have no password, and no option on the inline menu to add a new one. And no, i do not want the hassle of having to enter a new record manually.

• robjessica2
    robjessica2
    Community Member

Would also like to suggest that you somehow are able to edit the password on a webpage 1Password suggestion dropdown. I try to register a new site frequently with 1P and the password doesn't meet the sites rules for one reason or another - length and/or special characters most frequently. This forces me to drop into the app on my local machine, generate a password, possibly remove special characters the site doesn't like, then go back and drop it into webpage.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@InterrobangMP:

I don't see why 1Pass can't just always have an option to save a password, whether there is an existing password detected, or no password detected.

You can use the Save in 1Password button in the inline menu:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@robjessica2:

This is a nice suggestion, thank you! I have passed the feedback to our developers :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#43

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

To clarify the situation here, the "Save in 1Password" button only shows up if you input something into a username/password/email field. It will not show up if you're just clicking on a field that is empty.

So if you click inside a password field, as long as the field is empty 1Password will suggest a new password (if it is a new password field) instead. If you click on the suggested password, the save prompt will pop up and ask you if you'd like to save it. Alternatively, simply type in a new password or your own password and the inline menu will change and show the "Save in 1Password" button.

Again - if you have live examples of a website(s) where you had troubles with, post the link here and we'll gladly investigate and see what is happening, but the basic operation of 1Password in the browser is to show the "Save in 1Password" button after you type something into a field with your keyboard, or when letting it suggest a new strong password and selecting that new suggested password.

• InterrobangMP
    InterrobangMP
    Community Member

@ag_ana I am aware of this. I am saying that there have been some websites that this did not appear, even when I started typing something. The only option was to select a different option on the inline menu.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@InterrobangMP:

Do you remember what those websites were, so we can test them?

• InterrobangMP
    InterrobangMP
    Community Member

My X-rite - requires you to write your current password twice when changing anything in your profile. But 1Pass thinks I'm changing my password and will only give me the option to Use Suggested Password. There should just be an option to go through all my saved passwords so that when the correct one is not detected, I can go and select the correct one.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @InterrobangMP ,

Asking for the current password twice is a very rare edge case (which I personally did not encounter as of yet). When there are two password fields on a form and one of them is called "current password", 1Password will most likely assume this is a "change password" form and will suggest a new password.

If you want to fill it in with your current password, click the 1Password icon on the top right corner of your browser to open it, grab your password with the mouse and drag it over to the current password field on the website. That should allow you to fill in both of them quite quickly.

• InterrobangMP
    InterrobangMP
    Community Member

@ag_ana can I send you screen shots somehow? It won't let me attach them here. I have noted all my passwords/websites with problems and taken screenshots of them.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Sure @InterrobangMP .

You can send them to support+extensions@1password.com with a short description and a link to this discussion :)

This discussion has been closed.