Desktop application keeps telling me to install chrome extension, which is already installed!

Options
bagboy
bagboy
Community Member

The Chrome extension is installed and works just fine. Every time I click on the desktop icon at the top of my screen, it says, "Install the 1Password extension to fill passwords, credit cards, and addresses in Google Chrome." There's an "Add 1Password to Google Chrome" button below the message that takes me to the following link where I can get the extension: https://support.1password.com/cs/1password-classic-extension/

The extension was set up a couple weeks ago and works just fine. Regardless, I removed it and reinstalled it again, so it should definitely be the latest version. I've rebooted to no effect.

No idea why the desktop application suddenly forgot that the Chrome extension has been installed for weeks. Any ideas? I'm pretty new to 1Password.

1Password Version: 7.8.1
Extension Version: 1.24.0
OS Version: Big Sur 11.2.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• @bagboy

The extension you have installed is likely 1Password in the browser (formerly 1Password X), not our classic extension. It does not integrate directly with the Mac app, where the classic extension does. The newer extension is capable of working independently without the Mac app.

1Password (X) in the browser has its own pop-up for suggestions within the browser. That being Shift + Command + X in Chrome.

Basically at this time one does not know of the others existence. Hopefully that will change in the future. 🙂

• bagboy
    bagboy
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy You are spot on. I felt positive that I had followed the right link from the 1Password page to get the correct extension initially, but maybe I didn't?? All I know is that I deleted the old one and went to the link I posted above to install a new one. It worked immediately, and the Mac app is no longer telling me to install the Chrome extension. Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Tommy, you are welcome @bagboy! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.