Getting locked out of websites

Options

I'm getting locked out of websites because 1password generated a password that doesn't match the requirements of the website (i.e. the website may only allow max of 15 characters). This wouldn't be a problem but 1password updates its database prior to me finding out if the password works. If it doesn't work then I have to do a password recovery on the website.

1Password Version: started using yesterday
Extension Version: Chrome extension
OS Version: Windows 10 Chrome
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @chris95008 ,

When you're on a "Change Password" page of a website and 1Password suggests an incompatible password, don't leave the page. Simply generate a new password and update the login entry once more. You can repeat this process until the website accepts the new password.

If 1Password's suggestions just don't fit, use the password generator instead:

• Click the 1Password icon on the top right corner of your browser (might be hiding inside the grey puzzle piece icon).
    • Click the big PLUS icon to reveal the menu and select "Password Generator".
    • While in the generator, change the password type from "Smart Passwords" to "Random Passwords" and adjust the recipe according to the website's requirements.
    • Click on "Autofill" and 1Password will autofill the new password into the relevant field(s) on the page, then it will suggest updating/saving the new password again. Confirm and update, then send the form on the page.

If the website accept the new password - that's great. If not, repeat the process and adjust the password generator again to fully match the requirements, then save/update the newer password.

In a scenario where you left the change password page after saving a password that doesn't work, you can recover your previous password like so: https://support.1password.com/item-history/

This discussion has been closed.