Easier access to password generation

Options

It's fairly frustrating trying to just generate a password with 1password. This is an entire section of itself in other services, and that was my expectation as well.

It would be nice if we had a menu dedicated to this in the browser and phone app. When choosing to save a credential on signup, you don't have the option to customize your password generation at that moment. For example I would have liked to use words where possible.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.24.1
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rudis1261!

In the browser extension, you already have a dedicated section for the password generator, which you can find here:

When you mention the phone app, are you referring to 1Password for iOS or 1Password for Android? We can then send you some screenshots from there too.

For example I would have liked to use words where possible.

When you open the password generator in the 1Password extension, you can select a word-based generator and then make that the default choice if you wish:

• rudis1261
    rudis1261
    Community Member
    edited April 2021
    Options

Thanks for the info Ana, that does help allot on the desktop app. It's fairly annoying to set a default there. It feels like that is something that should belong in a settings menu.

Or exist in both possibly.

On my phone (ios) how do I easily do the same? These feel like core actions I may want to take, and they feel hidden to me

• rudis1261
    rudis1261
    Community Member
    Options

Especially to find the password generation on ios, you have to go categories -> + -> Password. It's fairly annoying and unclear.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2021
    Options

Hey @rudis1261
    Thank you for the feedback here.

In the next update of 1Password in the browser (on your computer), the password generator will show up in the extension's window when you click on it when you are on a page that requires a new password, so that will save you a couple of clicks to navigate to it (no need to click the plus button -> password generator). It will just show up in the suggestions when you click the 1Password extension.

On iOS, when you are on a page that requires you for a password, click the 1Password key icon on the side of the keyboard to launch 1Password, do not select any suggestion for autofilling that it gives you, but instead select the "1Password" option to launch the app, then you'll have a button in the app to create a new login. You can use that screen to generate a password.

• rudis1261
    rudis1261
    Community Member
    edited April 2021
    Options

Thanks for the info, looking forward to the update!

To be clear when I said IOS, I meant on my phone. It's hard to get to password generation on my phone. Even adding a new credential manually. That feels like a core action to take, and I don't quite understand why that isn't a main item in the UI. Instead having to go to the category page and then click + at the top. It's not easy to find.

Myself and my girlfriend was sitting on her couch, and I was trying to help her get going with 1password, and she asked how to add an item manually, and it took us like 5 minutes to find how to in the App.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for clarifying @rudis1261 .

When I said iOS I was referring to both iPhones and iPads. If you are in Safari on your iPhone and need to sign up for a new website, you'll want to click the little key icon that shows up on the side of the iPhone's keyboard - that will bring up 1Password and you can easily create a new item from that menu (which will allow you to generate a password as well).

I do appreciate the feedback here, we're always working on improving 1Password's user interface to make it simpler, so your input here is much appreciated.
    In the meantime, I recommend you and your girlfriend go over our iOS guide, I think it would benefit you guys a lot: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-ios/

Thanks again for the feedback here! Let us know if there's anything else you're finding difficult to use.

• rudis1261
    rudis1261
    Community Member
    Options

Ahhh ok I see what you mean now thanks for clarifying it! Yeah adding a new credential on whatever website you are on isn't a pain. Kinda more referring to using the App interface itself.

And being able to just copy / paste a new password

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for clarifying.

We do plan to change things a bit in the future so hopefully you'll see some improvements there :)

• rudis1261
    rudis1261
    Community Member
    edited April 2021
    Options

Many thanks again for all the info! 8-) looking forward to the updates :chuffed:

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem :chuffed:

Feel free to let us know if you require further assistance with anything. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.