If my vault is on icloud, where are my passwords stored?

Options
hardtofin
hardtofin
Community Member

If i choose icloud as my primary vault, where are my passwords stored? Is it only in icloud and therefore if icloud was hacked and my password file deleted (i know it cant be hacked) would i then lose access to my passwords?

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hardtofin!

If i choose icloud as my primary vault, where are my passwords stored?

All items in the Primary vault would be stored in iCloud in your example :+1: Items in other vaults might be stored somewhere else, depending on how you configured 1Password.

Is it only in icloud and therefore if icloud was hacked and my password file deleted (i know it cant be hacked) would i then lose access to my passwords?

It's difficult to give a hypothetical answer, not knowing the details of what could go wrong with iCloud, but yes, you might need to restore from a backup in that case.

• hardtofin
    hardtofin
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. So my machine makes its own backups then that it stores locally on my machine?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hardtofin:

Yes, the Primary vault is backed up locally :+1:

• hardtofin
    hardtofin
    Community Member
    Options

thank you!

So should something happen to iclouds data, i could still safely restore using my machines backup?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hardtofin:

Yes, you can restore the items in your Primary vault from the backup. For completeness, since iCloud only allows you to sync a single vault, if you have more vaults in your 1Password app, those would be synced somewhere else.

This discussion has been closed.