Remove Duplicate Tags

I just moved from standalone 1Password to 1Password Families two days ago.
During the transition, I imported my standalone vault twice due to some confusions in the process.
The result is: all items in the new Private vault are having duplicate tags, i.e. same tag appears twice.
Is there a way to remove the duplicates in one batch ?
I have nearly 500 items. It wouldn't be ideal to do it one by one.
Also I believe I am not alone.

1Password Version: 7.6.797
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Home
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• tomtsui
    tomtsui
    Community Member

Also in the older version 4 I was using, tag is optional.
    But in the new version, if I remove all tags (say the duplicate tags) from an item, the item will be trashed.
    However, those items (without tags) imported from the old vault remain good.
    Are there something wrong ?

• Hi there @tomtsui,

I'm really sorry you're running into this issue with 1Password - let's get things back up and running. Could you confirm if your standalone vault is still present within the 1Password app, alongside your new account and Private vault? Sometimes, if the old vault is still left in the app, using the All Vaults view will show all items from both vaults (which would show duplicates).

If you still have access to your standalone data, there are some ways we can shuffle things around to get back to one, unduplicated copy of your data. If that's the case, and you'd like some more detailed assistance with this, feel free to shoot me an email at support+windows@1password.com, and include my name in the subject line - I'll be happy to help out. :smile: Once you write in, you should receive an automated response with a conversation code that looks like this: [ABC-12345-678]. When you receive it, please paste that code here, and I'll use it to link things up from my end.

Thanks so much! :smile:

• tomtsui
    tomtsui
    Community Member

Thanks Dayton,
    My standalone vault was in Dropbox and I have it excluded from All Vaults already.
    I have removed it from Dropbox already.
    On my PC, I don't see the standalone one from All Vaults.
    On my iphone and iPad, I still see the standalone one showing under Vaults. Actually, it has been removed from Dropbox, meaning it is no longer on my iphone and iPad.
    I tried to delete the standalone one. And it asked me for the Master Password (assuming it is the Account one) to confirm.
    However, the app said the Passwords (both from Account or from the standalone) are wrong so it couldn't proceed.
    I am certain the passwords (both) are correct. Don't know why.
    It happened the same even before I removed the standalone vault from Dropbox.
    Question:
    What if I delete the 1Password app on my iPhone and iPad, and reinstall it again. will the standalone trace be gone?
    Also, since my data are stored on your company's cloud, my data won't be affected by the action, right ?
    Best,

• tomtsui
    tomtsui
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

OK, I have reinstalled the 1Password App on my iPad. The standalone trace is gone.
    Regarding the tags, on both my iPhone and iPad (7.7.2), I don't see any duplication.
    But it is on the PC version (7.6.797) and web version. Strange.
    Anyway, I am reviewing all items one by one to ensure only the valid ones are left in the new vault. Also removing the duplicate tags, too.

• @tomtsui

I'm glad to hear that uninstalling the app and re-installing it gave you the results you were looking for. :smile: When uninstalling your app, I suggest confirming that you are able to sign into the account at 1Password.com first, to ensure you have the correct Master Password to access your 1Password account. I also suggest ensuring that, when signed in at 1Password.com, all your data appears there.

If you'd like further help with getting things sorted out, feel free to shoot me an email (support+windows@1password.com) and I'll be glad to help out. :smile: :+1:

• tomtsui
    tomtsui
    Community Member

So far so good.
    But the issues I mentioned should worth your company a look. They are possibly bugs.
    Thanks

• @tomtsui I apologize, I forgot to address this:

in the new version, if I remove all tags (say the duplicate tags) from an item, the item will be trashed.

Tags are optional in 1Password 7 as well, and removing them shouldn't cause the item to be trashed - I personally only have a few tags in my personal account. Is it possible you were sorting your entries by tag? If so, removing all the tags would then mean it no longer fit in that Tag "view", so it would disappear from the Tag view, but still exist within your vaults.

Could you tell me what steps you use for removing tags from your entries?

• tomtsui
    tomtsui
    Community Member

Hi,
    After removing the standalone vault as mentioned earlier, items are no longer moved to Trash if their tags are deleted.
    That solves the issue.
    Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Dayton, you are welcome @tomtsui! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• tomtsui
    tomtsui
    Community Member

Thank you and you too

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.