synchronize one password on two computers

WoeIsMe
WoeIsMe
Community Member
edited April 2021 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Howdy:
I'm running 2 iMacs, with 1Password 6.8.9 on both. I'd like to update 1Password on one computer, then be able to copy/modify the other computer's 1Password without having to edit or create anew, since sometimes I modify/create more than one entry at a time.
Basically, I want to synch the second 1Password with the first computer's.
Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:synchronize one password on two computers

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @WoeIsMe!

You can see here the list of the sync methods you can choose from:

Sync your 1Password data

Let us now if you have any questions!

• macindigo
    macindigo
    Community Member

@WoeIsMe

Getting 1Password data from one machine to another is simple and easy.

The process involves copying 3 items from the source machine's ~/Library to the ~/Library of the target machine.

If necessary, on each machine, execute the following Terminal command to unhide the user Library:
    sudo chflags nohidden ~/Library

Then copy the following 3 items from the source machine to the target machine and you're done.

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4 folder
    ~/Library/Preferences/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper.plist
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.agilebits.onepassword4.plist

• WoeIsMe
    WoeIsMe
    Community Member

Thanks muchly, macindigo!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@WoeIsMe:

Note that this manual approach only works between computers running macOS. If you start using a smartphone or a Windows PC, for example, you would need to choose an automatic sync method, or you would not be able to see your 1Password data there. Just something to keep in mind in case you do use 1Password on other devices.

• debstr
    debstr
    Community Member

I have recently not been able to sync 1Password from my MacBook Pro to my iPhone and vice versa. It used to work great. They are both on the same WiFi. I can’t figure out the problem. Please help me. Thanks.

• debstr
    debstr
    Community Member

Forgot to add, I also want to change my email addy for 1Password, both on my MacBook Pro, iPhone and with the rest of 1Password online. How do I do that?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@debstr:

What sync method are you currently using? And what version of the 1Password for Mac app do you currently have installed?

Forgot to add, I also want to change my email addy for 1Password, both on my MacBook Pro, iPhone and with the rest of 1Password online.

You can find the instructions for that here:

Change your email address

• debstr
    debstr
    Community Member

I’ve been syncing via the cloud. I am using Version 7.8 of 1Password.

Thanks!

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2021

@debstr

Unfortunately, "the cloud" doesn't help us in this case. It could mean any cloud option. Are you using a 1Password.com membership or a 3rd party sync method? I am leaning toward you using one of our memberships because you mentioned 1Password online.

Please let us know.

• debstr
    debstr
    Community Member

Sorry. Yes, I am using 1Password.com membership. (I honestly didn’t know there were any other options!)

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@debstr:

Thank you for the confirmation! When you enter an item on either your MacBook or your iPhone, do you see this item on 1Password.com, if you login to the website?

• debstr
    debstr
    Community Member

I’ve finally had time to check 1Password.com. And today my devices seem to be updating normally. I don’t have a clue why they weren’t before and are now, when I haven’t done any changes. (And I can’t believe I forgot to check 1Password.com!)

Thanks for help!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @debstr! And I am glad to hear that everything is working as expected today :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• debstr
    debstr
    Community Member

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.